News U.S. Retailer Lists Rocket Lake CPUs, Core i9-11900K For $599

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Whatever the reviews are this is what I am going to do, compare apples-to-apples. That means comparing eight core parts against each other, 5800X vs i7-11700K and 5800X vs i9-11900K. If I need a 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 core product then we move to Intel's last generation parts, either their HEDT or i9-10900K parts.

AMD might also release another eight core part something like 5800XT or 5850X with a boost single core clock of say 5.0GHz. If I were AMD I would have been binning the higher end 5800X parts from the get go, call it Operation Counterstrike, building up an inventory of those parts, so that even if slightly slower in single core performance, would be in stock vs what is likely to be out of stock eight core Rocket Lake parts.

Last edited:

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I thought the official MSRP for the 10900k was $529 US (or at least that what the internet says). Seems odd they would jump those prices given the competition, but given the chip shortage and AMD coming out and saying high end CPU demand likely won't be met till July, maybe Intel is hoping to capitalize on being to able to supply these processors (maybe).

Edit: Fixed typo.

I thought the official MSRP for the 10900k was $529 US (or at least that what the internet says). Seems odd they would jump those prices given the competition, but given the chip shortage and AMD coming out and saying high end CPU demand likely won't be met till July, maybe Intel is hoping to capitalize on being to able to supply these processors (maybe).

Edit: Fixed typo.
These are retailors, well one, that hikes up prices because he's going to be the first to import them, prices in the first days are always blown up.
Depending on supply this time they might stay blown up but I doubt it will be more then other years.

Makaveli

Splendid
AMD might also release another eight core part something like 5800XT or 5850X with a boost single core clock of say 5.0GHz. If I were AMD I would have been binning the higher end 5800X parts from the get go, call it Operation Counterstrike, building up an inventory of those parts, so that even if slightly slower in single core performance, would be in stock vs what is likely to be out of stock eight core Rocket Lake parts.

I'm on a 5800X and I can already boost to 5025-5050 on a single core.

Last edited:

Flemishdragon

Commendable
Mar 15, 2019
This price is a joke.. The chip is only worth 399$ if even so.... the 3800x you have for almost 300€(not sure what it is in $). And I would still not be interested consumes to much power (electric bills) and only 8 cores, really it's 2021?

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
So, here's my prediction: Assuming that AMD/TSMC will have sorted out any shortages and Ryzen5xxx CPUs will become abundantly available by summer 2021, Intel will then have to lower prices on their Rocket Lake CPUs in order to stay competitive.
Intel's high introductory prices are only sustainable for as long AMD is suffering from shortages.
With Rocket Lake prices gowing down, AMD will have to reduce their prices as well.

Late summer should be a great time to get a 12 core Ryzen 3900 CPU that will hopefully be around 400 bucks by then.

Nov 13, 2020

I can assure you they will not be doing that, every single Ryzen 5000 is getting bought up, there is no reason for them to hold inventory and contribute to the global shortage when there is a buyer waiting

Reactions: Why_Me
So, here's my prediction: Assuming that AMD/TSMC will have sorted out any shortages and Ryzen5xxx CPUs will become abundantly available by summer 2021,
What do you think there is to sort out?
TSMC is booked out for many months to come and no matter how much they hurry their expansions, they won't have much higher capacity by summer.
The shortages come from AMD having to provide console APUs, GPUs, server and desktop CPUs and all of this from the very limited supply they get from TSMC.
So the only way would be for AMD to drop every other customer except for desktop and even then the amount of CPUs AMD could make would be a small fraction of the amount of CPUs intel can make.

Also rocket lake will match IPC on a per core basis and AMD would only be able to outmatch intel on models with more cores lowering the number of CPUs AMD can make even further.

The 11900k within a few months will normalize in price to the same level that the 10900k is at and AMD will probably also keep their pricing as is due to limited supply and high demand.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Zen 3+ Warhol is likely to launch in Q4 2021, at lest that what the rumors say and based on the previous rumors and sources of these rumors, it's pretty much clear that this will be the case, unless something majorly negative and unexpected happens (worldwide) until then.

So Zen3+ will be competing vs Alder Lake and will have a small IPC bump (a few %) over Zen3 and also a small (100Mhz?) clock frequency increase. It will be the last one on AM4.

Zen 4 Raphael will come in 2022 on the 5nm and AM5.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
$600 for 8 cores CPU is too much today. no matter how it performs.
So you would you pay $600 for 10 core Broadwell E CPU because you pay solely based on core count? I would sure hope not. Performance matters.

Intel will then have to lower prices on their Rocket Lake CPUs in order to stay competitive.
Intel's high introductory prices are only sustainable for as long AMD is suffering from shortages.
Lower prices from what? Intel hasn't announced pricing yet.

8 skus for the 8 core part?

Intel is basically putting Silicon Lottery out of business. They're doing the binning for the customer and charging the customer the marked up price. How is this any different form those 9000 series FX piledrivers AMD released a few years ago. I guarantee there will be zero overclock headroom for those top chips as they'll be overclocked to the moon already, the supply will be so limited they probably will only be available as review chips for months, and you might even need to use that QuantumX Delta TEC cooling unit intel made to get those boost clocks from those chips.

Feb 24, 2021
So you would you pay $600 for 10 core Broadwell E CPU because you pay solely based on core count? I would sure hope not. Performance matters.

Lower prices from what? Intel hasn't announced pricing yet.

I never said that. performance matters ? ofc it matters I was talking about this CPU not other CPUs .

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
So you would you pay $600 for 10 core Broadwell E CPU because you pay solely based on core count?
considering i paid $800 cdn for the 6 core, 5930k back in 2015. " $600 for 8 cores CPU is too much today. no matter how it performs" by Marslswaiting, is valid, and it IS too much. 2 more cores for the same price is a little over priced at that price considering we really still dont have a clear picture of how rocket Lake performs yet. 10 cores for $600 ? maybe, depends on the performance.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
considering i paid $800 cdn for the 6 core, 5930k back in 2015. " $600 for 8 cores CPU is too much today. no matter how it performs" by Marslswaiting, is valid, and it IS too much. 2 more cores for the same price is a little over priced at that price considering we really still dont have a clear picture of how rocket Lake performs yet. 10 cores for $600 ? maybe, depends on the performance.
I would never pay $35,000 for a 6 cylinder car today, when I could get an 8 cylinder for $4000 in 1970. Who cares? You're comparing apples to bicycles. The 11900k is not going to msrp for $600. Not that it matters. Intel could set the MSRP at $50, and you still wouldn't buy it and would find something to complain about, because that's all you do here.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
would find something to complain about, because that's all you do here.
hello pot meet kettle.

of course i wouldn't buy it, there are better options out there then intels power hungry cpus. and YES intel over all uses MORE power then amd, that is fact, practicaly ANY review out there says this, ONLY you and a few others say other wise, with your cherry picked graphs. the point is this spongie, intel is still setting its MSRP for more then their cpus are worth. they ALWAYS HAVE. intels philosophy is " offer less for more "

hello pot meet kettle.

of course i wouldn't buy it, there are better options out there then intels power hungry cpus. and YES intel over all uses MORE power then amd, that is fact, practicaly ANY review out there says this, ONLY you and a few others say other wise, with your cherry picked graphs. the point is this spongie, intel is still setting its MSRP for more then their cpus are worth. they ALWAYS HAVE. intels philosophy is " offer less for more "
If its a low to mid range gaming build someone wants then Intel is the obvious choice atm. Prove me wrong.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
The only way this Skippy Lake Intel generation is even remotely interesting is if it has a better price/performance ratio than Zen3. I doubt it will, maybe for the low end... maybe, we'll see.

Like I said before, unless you really need a new CPU/PC or you are a die hard intel fanboi, this is totally skip-able.

Even as a die hard intel fan, this makes no sense when we know in 6-8 months Alder Lake is coming with all the extra goodies.

hello pot meet kettle.

Show us one of these reviews that measured more than one single thing to show power draw, you are basing your opinion on cherry picked results as much as anybody.
The only way this Skippy Lake Intel generation is even remotely interesting is if it has a better price/performance ratio than Zen3. I doubt it will, maybe for the low end... maybe, we'll see.

Like I said before, unless you really need a new CPU/PC or you are a die hard intel fanboi, this is totally skip-able.

Even as a die hard intel fan, this makes no sense when we know in 6-8 months Alder Lake is coming with all the extra goodies.
Rocket lake will have a much more powerful iGPU which in these times of non availability and highly inflated prices of dGPUs will make a lot of sales on its own.

The about 20% higher IPC will also be a good selling point to anybody that doesn't need a server CPU at home, so basically everybody.

Intel also said that 10nm would be on the market 5 years ago so I wouldn't bet on alder being available in 6-8 months.

Makaveli

Splendid
Show us one of these reviews that measured more than one single thing to show power draw, you are basing your opinion on cherry picked results as much as anybody.

Rocket lake will have a much more powerful iGPU which in these times of non availability and highly inflated prices of dGPUs will make a lot of sales on its own.

The about 20% higher IPC will also be a good selling point to anybody that doesn't need a server CPU at home, so basically everybody.

Intel also said that 10nm would be on the market 5 years ago so I wouldn't bet on alder being available in 6-8 months.

Alderlake was rumored for a fall launch around Sept and last I heard that was pushed back to Dec now.

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Let's not forget that intel has now a new (former old guard) leadership now, which is also much better based on past results, so I don't expect Pat making the same mistakes as his predecessor...

Intel can't afford any more delays after dozens of delays already when they know that the Zen generations are coming almost like clockwork.

If it won't be in the Sept, it will most likely be not later than Dec. Skippy Lake will not be enough to have a definitive leg up in front of AMD, so they need Alder Lake to do that before Zen4 comes, otherwise if Zen4 arrives before Alder Lake (in case of further delays from intel) it will again be just a reactionary generation like Skippy Lake is, not an actual attack for the win - generation.

TRENDING THREADS