U. S. solar power - a summary

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
What if those who got layed-off were given the opportunity to work for said free energy company. I know energy cannot be free, but the exchange of electrons for dollars is a sure fire economic viability. think about it. you lost your job at a coal factory. you know how to repair machinery? Heck, we need mechanics where we are! You're hired.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
If free, unlimited energy were available today we would likely see the largest economic boom the world has ever seen over the next 10 years. Yes, "blue-collar" workers may lose their immediate job, however the increased demand for employees in other sectors of the economy due energy cost going down to zero would be staggering. These workers may find jobs immediately in other sectors or see opportunity in education. There are literally thousands of new jobs that would emerge in major sectors of the economy overnight. It would be the single greatest economic opportunity in human history, not some grand tale of sadness for people that lose their job. The entire country and world would be instantly more productive and better off.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Old, out-dated, and I hesitate to say, useless, jobs must die. It is the way of the world and the only way that economies can continue to grow. If we strictly tried to maintain jobs that were outdated just so that people that didn't have an 'applicable' skill-set could continue to thrive without making themselves valuable we'd still be wearing armor so that blacksmiths could keep a job and riding on wagons so wooden-wheel makers could maintain a living.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Oh absolutely. There is no way these jobs should disappear now while there is no alternative. However if a cheaper, cleaner source were to present itself I'd shed no tear for the feelings hurt and jobs lost due to our evolving economy based on new technologies.

TRENDING THREADS