UAC problems not wotking c:drive attempted wipe

jack wolfheart

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
My sister, who knows absolutely nothing about computers, tried to wipe my windows 7 pc and she did this via going to the c: drive and deleting everything. I managed to regain control of most of the computer since doing something that stupid took away my admin privlages on the C drive. I'm still having trouble though. I can access and use all of my stuff now but I have an issue where I can't install or use anything with the UAC shield. When I go to the UAC control panel I can click the links but they don't open. When I try to run a program that needs UAC approval i get: Windows cannot access the specified path or file. You may not have permissions.
Any help would be nice because I can't even preform a system restore at this point.

Solution

You have unknown files that were deleted, unless you know what those files were and can copy them back, you need to repair or full re-install Windows.

You can use any Windows 7 OEM disk, although MS no longer offers the ISO files for download, you can probably track down a disk near you.

Don't know if the Windows 10 upgrade will work properly or not in your case, did you get the reserve your copy of 10 message and did you do that to get the download when it's available? If you don't want to try to repair the...

jack wolfheart

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Not an option at this point, the laptop is out of warranty and I didn't get a disc, is there anything else I can do? I was going to upgrade to 10 when I got the chance. is that even possible with the UAC out of whack?

You have unknown files that were deleted, unless you know what those files were and can copy them back, you need to repair or full re-install Windows.

You can use any Windows 7 OEM disk, although MS no longer offers the ISO files for download, you can probably track down a disk near you.

Don't know if the Windows 10 upgrade will work properly or not in your case, did you get the reserve your copy of 10 message and did you do that to get the download when it's available? If you don't want to try to repair the current setup you can just wait till 10 downloads and try.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS