Question Ubiquiti Controller vs "Stand Alone" via the Unifi App.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi all,

Out of my depth here...
I picked up a couple of AP-AC-Pros over the weekend, which are powered via my TPLink T1600G-28PS switch (switch is only being utilized for POE and otherwise 'dumb').
This is a temporary setup before long-term implementation when my new house is ready in a couple of months.

While I know 'what' I want, the 'how' element is beyond my scope of knowledge.
Basically, I only want strong Wifi throughout. Majority of the devices will be hard-wired, so only really mobile devices & the occassional IoT device.

For the APs..
Initially, I set everything up via the Windows .exe controller, although upon reboot of the system, both AP's noted "missed heartbeat" and then "disconnected".
However, Wifi was still functional, I just couldn't control anything.

I decided to try out the Andoird App, and control them as "standalone devices". Easy enough, and all seems to be working as intended. Very little in terms of configuration available of course, but the intent is for basic home use.

I like everything to be overkill (hence these AP, the large POE switch etc), but at the end of the day, I'm probably the target audience for the "standalone devices" option.

Anyway... questions:
  1. In a residential environment where anything that can be hard-wired (CAT6) is wired, is there any benefit from a dedicated controller running 24/7 (either official controller, Raspberry Pi or similar)? Anything in particular I should note?
  2. ", would there be any noticeable benefit in opting for my owner router (UBMT or otherwise) vs the ISPs provided router* with Wifi radios disabled? Anything in particular I should note?

*Setup should be a Nokia ONT for a fiber line, CAT6 to ISP provided modem/combo all in one, CAT6 into my POE switch and out via a patch panel to ~12 ports throughout the house/garage (POE enabled/disabled per port accordingly).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Found a good deal, so I caved ($400 CAD).

IMG-20200608-173523.jpg

Just need a USG or UDM..... found a deal ($150 CAD) on a USG-PRO-4, but not sure I gain much there at all over a USG3.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
$150 for a USG Pro is a good deal. You get more than a plain USG3. I don't have the gigabit WAN but mine does just fine on 400Mbit.

Yeah, thinking I'll pull the trigger. Worst case it doesn't handle Gigabit very well (I know it can't with everything enabled, just a matter of what I have to give up), I should be able to recoup the $150 from it and just buy the UDM. Trying to see if I can get combined shipping with an AC-Lite they have for sale too - never hurts to have a backup AP... might even put it out in the garage.

Trying to coordinate shipping though, estimate has it between two days before we move and 7 days after.... probably ship it to the inlaws.