Ubiquiti UniFi AP

Augmentum

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Hello folks!

Today I decided to set up one of these (Ubiquiti UniFi AP) in my home since the xfinity router isn't providing the much needed coverage that we want. Since this device receives PoE I was wondering was if it was possible for this divice to be connected to a regular Ethernet/desktop switch or does that also have to be PoE? Or does it have to be connected to the xfinity modem directly? I don't know if I can find a cable that line lol!

Thank you

Solution
The AP will come with a power injector. An Ethernet cable from the router and a power supply are plugged into the injector. Then the Ethernet cable going to the AP will be POE. You can buy standard POE switches, but they are expensive and not really needed for home use. And the APs may use a proprietary POE system. So go with the included injectors.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
The AP will come with a power injector. An Ethernet cable from the router and a power supply are plugged into the injector. Then the Ethernet cable going to the AP will be POE. You can buy standard POE switches, but they are expensive and not really needed for home use. And the APs may use a proprietary POE system. So go with the included injectors.

Solution