Ubisoft and Nvidia Form PC Gaming Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i hate nvidia for personal reasons, and how they have screwed gamers in the past and present...

depending on how the "optimization" happens, as in did nvidia lock basic code to make their cards look better, than i may just not buy the games on principal.

This is simply just a step forward for the gaming PC in general, a few years back analytics said the gaming PC was dead, but this is just another step in the other direction. How can you be negative about that, really?

I guess launching a popular game with crappy always-online DRM and a proprietary launcher (uplay) may count as interesting, albeit very frustrating if you happened to pay for it.

Ubi can call me when they get their stuff on steam.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone remember 3dfx and their voodoo cards? they spent so much money on things like this to boost sales they went bankrupt pretty much over night too

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

Nvidia need to pull something out since they have nothing to do with consoles this time. Could be very good in the future.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
it will be interesting to c how nvidia will fair 2 years from now, seeing how the console market is owned by AMD and AMD gpus. and the build is crazy close to pc, if they pull it of right then amd will get a free ride on the optimization of 80% of all games. 2014-2017

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

This is a step in the wrong direction. At one time, games were optimized for DirectX...and before that, for OpenGL. Game devs didn't focus on any 1 single GPU architecture. These "alliances" of sorts, have actually hurt PC gaming, not helped. Graphics card prices have increased because of NVidia throwing money at devs trying to get an artificial advantage in games.]

Won't happen. EA and Activision would be slitting their own throats. They both heavily rely on consoles, which will have AMD CPU and GPU inside. The code will have to be heavily optimized for those AMD architectures.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
"PC games that fall under this "alliance" include Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist, which is slated to arrive on August 20."

This article is published on August 26. Why speak of game already released in future tense?

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Before people start hating on Nvidea for this, AMD does the same thing, starting alliances with publishers and developers. As long as games work well on both amd and nvidea it is all fine by me. For example when using HBAO a game should also work with HDAO. and the framerate should be decent.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

this is true, but it all depends on whether AMD will keep the GCN architecture for the rest of the gen. we all know the consoles will get as full optimization as they can get for ubisofts main cash cows. the pc, on the other hand, isnt always as lucky. AMD already has the deal for free basically, but nvidia NEEDS to make such a deal. by the info on this article makes me believe Ubisoft is going to laze out pc ports this gen again. reason, the article doesnt mention Physx among the nvidia features that will be used(the source link is broken by the way). why would they not include the feature nvidia brags about the most if this is a "optimization deal"? because consoles dont support it. anyone get where Im going with this?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well that decides it. I don't want anything to do with Ubisoft. I'll be buying an AMD card next time. Anyone who has tried to use Ubisoft's DRM network knows what I'm talking about. What a pile of crap.

No.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Well, there goes that rumor from awhile back that AMD would be adding Watch Dogs to Never Settle. That sucks, I was really looking forward to buying a 9000 series card and getting Watch Dogs for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS