Ubisoft Expects Watch Dogs to Move 6 Million Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
If your game is good you shouldn't have to spend tens of millions to market it. Word of mouth is ALWAYS what finds the good games and creates successful titles. The amount of money developers and studios throw at video games and movies is ridiculous. We are now in the age of $50 million dollar game developments and Quarter-BILLION dollar movies every month.

Companies are basing their entire existence release by release. One failing and its game over. No pun intended.

Giovanni-L

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
@bison88

dude, you might not have spent the time required to realize stuff on your own through your own thoughts, but i have. And i have spoken to people both younger and older than me that have the same habit: to think thoroughly about the stuff you heard and saw during the day.

You'd be amazed and overwhelmed (as i was at first) to know that people around us are incredibly stupid and susceptible to suggestion -advertising, for example.

You probably never realized, but even you (me, too!) have felt bad for not being alike to the people around us or not behaving alike. That may be burried deeply into your sub-conscious but believe me, it's there.

Advertisements nowadays are thought and executed in a way that most people (who don't have a very strong will and mindset) will succumb and do as said, somewhat like programming their subconsciousness. BE AWARE. RESIST. YOUR DECISIONS ARE YOURS TO MAKE!

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Whats sad is there are a LOT of games with a low budget say under 5 million that seem like much better games then the $50 million or $100 million games.

$100 million for marketing....is just nuts. If only they spent that on the game iself, it would likely be much better...

crazedaku

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
@bison88

I disagree. I believe that a game CAN be found through word of mouth, but if no one ever hears about it in the first place, how will they know it exists? You can't just expect people to find your product randomly. And as you put it, companies are putting their entire existence on the line based on the sales of one game, they can't afford for people to not know about it. I personally don't think that Ubisoft's existence hinges on this one game though, they have several AAA titles to fall back on, worst case scenario is that we don't see a sequel.

crazedaku

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
@bison88

I disagree. I believe that a game CAN be found through word of mouth, but if no one ever hears about it in the first place, how will they know it exists? You can't just expect people to find your product randomly. And as you put it, companies are putting their entire existence on the line based on the sales of one game, they can't afford for people to not know about it. I personally don't think that Ubisoft's existence hinges on this one game though, they have several AAA titles to fall back on, worst case scenario is that we don't see a sequel.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I wouldn't be suprised at all if it sells more than 10 million copies. Afterall, it's releasing on a ton of platforms, meaning it's accessible, and it's won all kinds of awards so far including several Best of E3 awards. I know I'll be getting a copy, and maybe even a second copy on a next-gen console or PC later on after I have money for one.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"So after E3, what we said today was that we do feel that we can expect…slightly above the 6.2 million that Assassin's Creed did."

My my. If I do say, someone has some.. High hopes.
Wonder what they'll blame when they fail to reach half that?

Oh yeah...

Piracy. Thats the solution to any question about games isn't it?
Can't possibly be anything else, like the publishers pushing, poor developer ideas/coordination, poor quality gameplay, crappy ports. Maybe a few others I forgot, but to them it just comes down to piracy.

Guess we'll find out by next years first quarter.

But a tip Ubi, don't dump 200m on anything unless you've got promise notes from 3.3m gamers. (To say nothing of turning a profit.)

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@soldier44 They said that they're considering a PC release. They're asking PC gamers to show their interest in a PC release by singing any and all petitions they can find.

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I might consider this game if Ubisoft didn't do such a half-assed job of porting games to PC. That and uPlay, especially after they got account info stolen.

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
@None12345 -

Games of this quality/scope/size require resources well beyond games with 5 million dollar budgets. That being said throwing money at a game will in fact not make it any better. I will defer to the studio that's producing AAA titles on what a good budget for a game is. Besides, the article indicates the figures to be tied to Bioshock Infinate, not Watch Dogs.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i feel like Im the only gamer in the world that isnt interested in this game and the division. noire style games just arent my cup of tea. still, no doubt this game has enough hype to move that many copies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
This game actually looks novel. Not the same rehash of old ideas fed to gamers over and over. Puts NSA and GCHQ into perspective…they have a lock on us all. Watch Dog is, thankfully, just a game…. or… is it?

Looks fairly waiting can't wait till it's been out for a year or two and goes on sale for $10.

Would be more interesting if it was a game where you actually play as a watchdog. Game features include attacking burglars bonus points for biting in the nuts, avoiding dog catchers, following scent or sounds, chasing cats and avoiding random vets trying to neuter you. Being sure to add disemboweling to get a mature rating.

I just don't see the need for such huge budgets. Two crowdsource games with vastly smaller budgets look far more interesting. Namely Project CARS and Star Citizen.

loosescrews

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
@Giovanni-L, I won't watch TV or listen to the radio. I always use AdBlock Plus when browsing the web. I hear about new games through word of mouth, this website, Zero Punctuation, and Steam. That is just about it. Billboards are illegal in my area.

The interesting thing is that I originally cut out ads out of necessity. I live off the beaten path and grew up on dial-up. I had to block ads because they sucked too much bandwidth. TV and radio reception at my house are poor. Cable wasn't available until 6 months ago. Now that I can download ads without insanely slowing my connection and can watch TV I still don't. I like living without ads.

And we can expect the same level of DRM intrusion usually seen on Ubi games. One thing I can tell you for sure, they'll make zero dollars from me. I wish Ubi, EA and Activision/Blizzard would all hug and die in a fire.

Long live companies like Valve, 2K, Obsidian and Bethesda.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
yeah, i think spending 100 million on advertising is a little ridiculous. IF you can't sell it on 25 million advertising than you might as well be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.