Info UBISOFT says $70 price tag will now be the norm for its ‘big AAA games’ !

Hey all,

Did PC games also got more expensive as time passes by ? I was hoping for a parity in price, but it looks Ubisoft and many more DEVs have other plans. Now pay more money for those AAA games which are even released in a half broken state, let alone being unoptimized. :mad:

Ubisoft stated that USD $70 will be the new norm for pricing of its AAA game titles going forward. Count this as 16.6% inflation over the $60 ($59.99) that was normal for AAA games a few years ago.

Though, not directly mentioned in one interview, this new change/strategy should also effect the pricing on the PC platform as well, apart from next-gen consoles, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S, unless the publisher has other plans for the PC gaming community (seems unlikely though).

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, in an interview with Axios, stated that $70 would be considered the default for the publisher's big AAA releases across platforms. This would make $70 the base price for the "Standard Edition." Various premium editions and season passes would be priced higher.

NBA 2K21 became the first title with its standard edition priced at $70 in August 2020. Ubisoft will effect the $70 pricing on the upcoming "Skull and Bones," which releases this November.
“Some of the games will come at the same price as the competition,” Guillemot said. “The big AAA games will come at $70.”

Guillemot didn’t specify if other upcoming Ubisoft titles like Assassin’s Creed Red or Assassin’s Creed Hexe will follow suit, though neither game is coming out anytime soon. Assassin’s Creed Mirage, which releases in 2023, is currently only $50 across PlayStation, Xbox, and PC storefronts.

It’s worth mentioning that Mirage is being advertised as a smaller-scale release, so that could factor into the lower price.

News SOURCE:

Ubisoft says $70 price tag will now be the norm for its ‘big AAA games’ | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

Exclusive: Ubisoft CEO speaks (axios.com)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am in Australia, I think last time I paid $70 for a game was about 20 years ago. I realise headline is USD but you guys had it a lot cheaper than us for years. COD: MW2 costs me:
$109 for standard pre order
$159 for the Vault Edition pre order

So yeah. I wish it was only $70 for a game. Its one reason I just don't buy games anymore.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Sony is doing it too. It will be the new standard to replace $60 in the near future, as games are becoming more expensive to develop.
However, for companies like Activision/Blizzard and Ubisoft, I remain skeptical as to if they particularly need the price hike...

I am in Australia, I think last time I paid $70 for a game was about 20 years ago. I realise headline is USD but you guys had it a lot cheaper than us for years. COD: MW2 costs me:
$109 for standard pre order
$159 for the Vault Edition pre order

So yeah. I wish it was only $70 for a game. Its one reason I just don't buy games anymore.

Damn, that's a very high price for a game. Even I'm not buying AAA PC games anymore these game, with some few exceptions. I have enough backlog of my old-school FPS collection to play with.

Btw, isn't hardware also very expensive in Australia, including Gaming GPUs, MOBOs, and other gadgets ? I guess due to high Australian VAT and tax !

3090 TI is $2500, I can remember 2 years ago them being close to 5k.

Wow, now that's a pretty insane price to pay for a GPU. 5K is way too much, though I know these past 2 years the whole global economy was affected by inflation, due to covid. But still, paying 5K for a flagship sounds very absurd.

This is the reason I have not upgraded my GPU yet. Don't know how much the next-gen ADA Lovelace and RDNA3 GPUs are going to cost, but hopefully there should not be any inflation, since GPU mining is also dead now. So miners/scalpers won't buy any GPU in bulk quantities.