Ubisoft's Internet-required DRM Already Cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Victory for PC Gamers! This DRM business and anti-pirating schemes are doing nothing more than hurting the already dwindling market share of PC games, NOT helping. When will they learn? Stop destroying out platform for gaming please, we would appreciate it much if actually built games that revolve around the PC's and not turn them into console ports.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
If it's man made, it will be cracked. It's only a matter of time. In this case, it seems, not too much time at all.

kavic

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I knew it would only be a matter of time, all DRM does now is make it a pain for those who are legit to play there games.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I remember when I heard about this I actually had to ask myself if I owned any Ubisoft games... I actually found 2. One was TERRIBLE... the other was pretty decent, but neither was this Draconian in its efforts to thwart piracy. In full disclosure... I bought both new. Not now!!!

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
the ratio of total work hours for programming DRM : time taken to crack it is probably around 1000:1
lol gotta love it

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
When will the developers learn...

I'm all for them getting paid for their work, but that sort of DRM just isn't the way to do it. So far my favorite 'drm' is steam hands down, simply because it complements the legitimate users instead of harming them. (I love not having to worry about physical media).

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/2/19/

That's really all I have to say on the issue, because that's the common mind-frame on the subjuct matter.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
DRM like this only serves to hurt PAYING CUSTOMERS! When will it dawn on game publishers that DRM that makes it more difficult to play games only encourages piracy? Why would I pay for the privilege of not being able to play a game when the game servers are down or I’m not connected to the internet?

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]When will the developers learn...I'm all for them getting paid for their work, but that sort of DRM just isn't the way to do it. So far my favorite 'drm' is steam hands down, simply because it complements the legitimate users instead of harming them. (I love not having to worry about physical media).[/citation]

I think your point is a good one, but don't blame the developers. Most of them probably agree with you. It is the suits that force the inclusion of DRM.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]When will the developers learn...I'm all for them getting paid for their work, but that sort of DRM just isn't the way to do it. So far my favorite 'drm' is steam hands down, simply because it complements the legitimate users instead of harming them. (I love not having to worry about physical media).[/citation]

Bulls**t. With my Internet that I used to have, it went out so often Steam was just as bad as this online thing from Ubisoft. Now it's not as issue, and so neither would the Ubisoft stuff, but whatever.

And offline is a load of crock, for me. It rarely works. Notice how many patches lately have included "Fixed offline mode." and even the latest I think said "Fixed offline mode. Really."

I just don't see how Steam is all that better. With the Internet I have now, I don't mind either, but Steam doesn't seem to be the golden standard many people hold it as to me.

Whenever I buy a new game from Amazon the first two things I do is download the latest update then the latest crack for the game so that I can avoid all the DRM issues. Looks like I will have to do the same with Assassins Creed 2.

What is horrible is that I get pleasantly surprised when all a game requires is typing in the license key. Not having to activate, register, leave the disc in my drive, &c.

I don't see the point in pirating games since so many great titles over a year or two old can be had for less than $15.

Support for game companies that use invasive and time consuming DRM on their programs? No thanks.

The only company I regularly buy games from/don't bootleg is Bethesda Works - they only use minimal securoms such as a simple disc check.

Support companies that don't *** over their customers with intrusive DRM!

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]justsomeone[/nom]If you hack a system, you're a hacker. So if you crack DRM, are you a cracker?[/citation]

Of course. What's so funny. Cracker.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I don't mind DRM as long as it isn't punishing the legit buyers, this is clearly the case of a bad DRM where the legit customers are the only ones hurt by the fallout from it! The pirates are likely laughing at the legit purchasers who are "stupid" enough to pay for the troubles.

Who is killing the industry... really ?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
it doesnt seem like itd b too hard to crack anyways... just modify the windows host file to redirect requests to ubisoft to localhost, then have a "fake server" running on the local machine that responds appropriatly. DRM is pointless... games should just not worry with it. They will be pirated reguardless

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
I don't understand why they think coming up with invasive DRM works? I've yet to see a DRM that worked 100% for non online games on PC. Everything gets cracked. I choose to pay for my games because i can afford to. At the same time i feel extremely annoyed by some of the DRM i have to put up with. we have huge ass hard drives and we still have to put the disc in. that is just plain stupid. but the pirates don't need to insert disc....they get a better more pleasant experience than i do! that's why i started just buying everything on STEAM.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Wow. I get a funny feeling this will only make more cracked copies. STOP HURTING THE HONEST with DRM. There is no way to stop crackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.