Ubuntu 12.04 HUD Supports Voice-Based Menu Commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]wow.. someone is actually competing windows!!! that is awesome people.. i loved ubuntu.. i love ubuntu.. and i will continue to love ubuntu.. ^_^[/citation]
how are they competing?

ajay_vishvanathan

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]how are they competing?[/citation]
in terms of UI.. now they added what windows has.. voice recognition.. and the search is better as compared to windows.. its faster in booting, tries to pack the drivers like windows, what not? and they are free on top of that.. the difference?? it wont support .exe, .msi files. but we got wine hq, run on linux etc there..

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
ubuntu is great, however i left cus of unity.. but with gnome 3 being pretty much the same... and windows 8 going to something similar, might as well make the switch

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
As a 10.04 user who refuses to downgrade to 11.x, I want to know if I'm going to be able to avoid any UI changes that Canonical decides are better but really aren't, for me. (eg, the immovable Unity launcher that groups tasks, sure it's good for some, but not me).

IE, has Canonical dropped the "we know how to best set up your desktop, and everyone's needs are the same" attitude and gone back to letting us customise everything the way we like it?

There are many who jumped ship with 11.04, but there are still probably many others waiting to see whether Ubuntu might yet fix things.

G

Make this release a more faster, leaner, stable and reliable distro. Common Ubuntu/Canonical you can deliver this kind of distro as what you did with version 8.04LTS and 10.04LTS...

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]ubuntu is great, however i left cus of unity.. but with gnome 3 being pretty much the same... and windows 8 going to something similar, might as well make the switch[/citation]

Since there are plenty of alternatives, why move to something you don't like?
There are enormous numbers of anti-unity users who jumped to mint, enough to keep things current and working fine. I'm probably headed to mint if 12.x doesn't let me keep the features that I find most efficient.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]in terms of UI.. now they added what windows has.. voice recognition.. and the search is better as compared to windows.. its faster in booting, tries to pack the drivers like windows, what not? and they are free on top of that.. the difference?? it wont support .exe, .msi files. but we got wine hq, run on linux etc there..[/citation]

While I won't be abandoning Windows because I like it better (yes yes, I've used iOS and many nix distros). But I certainly appreciate these advances and the competition keeps Microsoft charging. Windows has had voice for years now but this sounds like it's pushing into more of a natural voice interpretation. Impressive.

PrimalGecko

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I liked playing with 11.10 and it was much better than 11.04. That's not to say that 11.x was better than 10.x, but as they are evolving the OS, they are doing some things right and I hope Canonical can continue making positive changes to Ubuntu in each successive version. I'm looking forward to 12.04 and giving it a good run on my PC. For my laptop, I'll stay with Mint.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I want the Ubuntu TV project (OS to be built into physical TV's) to be included in the actual Ubuntu OS so I can have my HTPC. I've been using Windows Media Center for a long time and it's working fine, but I'd like more flexibility with my recordings. I tried MythTV a while ago but that was to complicated. And I didn't feel like paying for Beyond TV (even though my dad has it and he likes it) because they use several different packages to get the same experience from a full media center.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
seems like Windows, and Ubuntu are pushing boundaries when it comes to navigation of your computer. we had the same old. for over 15 years. But wasn't the good old start menu at the bottom or top with icons on a desktop already the best solution for Desktops and Laptops? I can't really find my self using the new Metro Ui, or the HUD from Ubuntu. Who knows though probably these new interfaces are the way to go.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
New features don't mean crap to me unless they're rock solid stable, and I have yet to come across a hot shot Linux GUI that is rock solid. There seems to always be some kind of bug that makes them randomly crash on me or some strange error occur. Windows and OSX are for GUI's and Linux is for command lines. Period.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]in terms of UI.. now they added what windows has.. voice recognition.. and the search is better as compared to windows.. its faster in booting, tries to pack the drivers like windows, what not? and they are free on top of that.. the difference?? it wont support .exe, .msi files. but we got wine hq, run on linux etc there..[/citation]

by competing i mean trying to catch up, or anything like that.
alt oses have always done certain aspects better than windows, but no alt os does everything better, or even does everything reasonable enough that people would consider it a real alternative to windows for the casual.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]wow.. someone is actually competing windows!!! that is awesome people.. i loved ubuntu.. i love ubuntu.. and i will continue to love ubuntu.. ^_^[/citation]

I think it would be the best for the users, if the interface would look similar. If they can adapt faster, easier, the more users will Ubuntu get. My grandma, my sisters, etc ... don't want to talk to the computer, nor this feature. Just use the computer as they are used to.

They are happy if something "just works" like under Windows. They don't want to re-learn the whole "computer thing".

My opinion: Ubuntu is going in the wrong direction.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]If only games have native linux support...[/citation]

Really? Most developers are turning their backs to PC, gaming on the PC is slowing being phased out by the developers.

cphorn15

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Really? Most developers are turning their backs to PC, gaming on the PC is slowing being phased out by the developers.[/citation]
Yes and no. The more console oriented developers are moving in that direction, but you take a look at all MMOs that are coming out plus the huge wave of indie developers (Mojang, Re-Logic, Team Meat) that are working on the pc because it's free (XNA/C# and whatnot). Plus, after seeing how gorgeous BF3 was on the PC (bear in mind that we are talking about people who have yet to see games like Witcher 2 and who usually play on PC equivalent of low graphics settings), I know several console gamers jumping ship and buying only the necessary upgrades for their PC. It's an even market at the moment.

What will be interesting to see is if Linux and MacOS can get enough users/gamers to justify developing on OpenGL, despite its lack of features compared to DX11.

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Also, check Just Cause 2. After Battlefield 3, that was the second game that took my breath. It's just ... awesome (in terms of graphics).

Status
Not open for further replies.