Ubuntu 12.04 HUD Supports Voice-Based Menu Commands

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]cphorn15[/nom]Yes and no. The more console oriented developers are moving in that direction, but you take a look at all MMOs that are coming out plus the huge wave of indie developers (Mojang, Re-Logic, Team Meat) that are working on the pc because it's free (XNA/C# and whatnot). Plus, after seeing how gorgeous BF3 was on the PC (bear in mind that we are talking about people who have yet to see games like Witcher 2 and who usually play on PC equivalent of low graphics settings), I know several console gamers jumping ship and buying only the necessary upgrades for their PC. It's an even market at the moment. What will be interesting to see is if Linux and MacOS can get enough users/gamers to justify developing on OpenGL, despite its lack of features compared to DX11.[/citation]

Minecraft uses pure java and launches from a JAR, so that is why it is cross platform.

Most developers using PC use the M$ software stack from Visual C++ to DirectX and that is almost impossible to port to *nix systems like OSX and Linux.

Some of them do develop with the GNU stack and use make and such, but it is much more complicated than the Windows development environment because M$ went out of their way to make a proprietary easy to use development system. Hopefully, as M$ declines, game developers start using the cross platform open source tools to build games using OpenGL rather than using the Visual C++ compiler with DirectX.

G

And it will be incredibly clunky, just like the interface micro$oft is proposing for windows 8. Its like everyone is trying to dumb down the user.... er, the interfaces.

Just as a quick question (which also applies to windows 8), how in tarnation is someone going to know the NAME of the program they want if they can't browse a list with it in?

Its not like ALL programs have names that relate to function (say, for example, who would say "synaptic" to get a program to install other programs?).

This is just a very bloated annoyance, exactly like unity, and anyone with half a brain cell and actually interested in getting anything done rather than having a flashy desktop will stay away from.

how2harry

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
It was a bold move by the Ubuntu team to break away from gnome and trail blaze their own interface. They've used their releases between long term supported releases to experiment and progress this new and drastic change, and they've taken flack and lost loyal users in the process. With Linux though you've always got plenty of choices (like mint:) ) and can further customize your interface to the nth degree! I personally think hats off to them for breaking the mold on this one. When touch-screen usage begins to explode next year and mobile and tablet numbers continue to rocket, the Unity interface should be a compelling choice and perhaps will vindicate their forward thinking?!!

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I run ubuntu 10.10 on my work compter, a HP 8440p with nivida NVS 3100 GFX, and i run a dual screen setup, but i have never gottn unity to work with dual screen so that is a reason for that I don't upgrade to a newer version. Is this a general issue ?, because I have not tested it on different computers, or have any of you the same experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.