Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome 2 is sick...

toxiclown

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Hello all,

Anytime I come across (or go to) a page
that has a video on it Ununtu crawls to a stop with a gray screen. About 2 minutes later I (when 12.04 recovers) either I see a message that AFP has crashed, or "stop bad script?". I have tried different fixes for the AFP thru the Ubuntu forums, there is about 500 different ones, but I'm tired of the slow downs and crashes. I like Firefox, but have been using Chrome browser lately.

Chrome is quick like FF used to be. Is there an answer for me and I'm sure others?

Using:

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise

Linux 3.2.0-68-generic-pae

MoBo - M5A78L-M LX PLUS

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor

Video Card - Radeon HD 6570/7570

RAM - 8074 MBytes

Thank You

Solution
How did you install flash in the first place? adobe flash 11.2 is the latest for Linux...

Personally I would just just nuke the entire .mozilla folder and start fresh.
rm -rf ~/mozilla
Try latest 14.04 (or 14.10 beta) and see if issue has been resolved with newer software. Alternatively don't use flash at all.

Try start firefox with no extensions or addons:
Code:
firefox -safe-mode

btw what is afp? such a generic acronym can be anything.

toxiclown

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Well...it seems that Gmail Checker is slowing things down, but in Plugins I see that there is Shockwave Flash 15.xxx and SWF 11.xxx installed. When I disable SWF 15.xxx (SWF 11.xxx is enabled) and watch a video all works fine. When I go back to the Plugins, SWF 15.xxx has enabled itself, and the video I was using as a test, crashed.

I can't have just the one Flash player (SWF 11.xxx) running. As soon as I go back into the Plugins SWF 15.xxx is enabled.

It says Shockwave Flash in my Plugins and not Adobe Flash.

How do I totally remove SWF 15.xxx from my Ubuntu 12.04?

Thanks for the help...