Ubuntu 16.04 won't shut off USB when shut down

Roger Davis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
I just installed Ubuntu 16.04 on a Asus Z170A MB system.

The USB card reader doesn't shut off when the system shuts down. The USB floppy continually seeks when the system is on, but does shut off when the system shuts down.

These all work fine on Windows 10 on the same machine (started from a separate, hard switched, hard drive).

The Asus MB has a strange BIOS, not sure if it's UEFI, BIOS, or hybrid. The instructions from Ubuntu when loading were unclear. I selected to enable third party drivers.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
The card reader probably has a molex connector directly to the power supply, in addition to the usb connector. The reader light stays on either because of residual current from the power supply after shutdown, or the BIOS setting (or ASUS software) has enabled usb charging while the computer is off (this allows charging a cell phone from usb port when the pc is turned off). Not really an issue... maybe an annoyance. The floppy drive... I don't know.

Roger Davis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
It seems to me that a physical hardwire connection is not going to change due to operating system change. These items work ok in Windoze 10. I had considered a BIOS setting might affect Ubuntu in a negative way compared to Windoze, but can't spot this myself despite checking. I can leave it off longer after I shut down Linux next time and see if the light goes out after a time. I could also unplug the machine...

I'm guessing Linux has some confusion about the floppy, and this might be a bug.

Any further ideas, please?

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I'm guessing that the card reader is mounted into the case, and the floppy drive is an external unit? If that's correct you might try plugging the floppy into a usb2 port instead of usb3. Some usb3 ports cause me problems with random disconnects when using an external hard drive. This may be happening with your floppy drive. Maybe a driver problem also. Again, just guessing.

Roger Davis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
The card reader is an internal item, but connects with only 2 USB connectors to the back of the case and a 20 pin connector to the board. That is the intended operation, not my concoction.

The USB floppy is supposed to be external, but it is simply put into a drive bay in the system. Functionally, it is a normal external USB floppy.

I'm considering that drivers are the most likely suspect, but not at all sure.

Asus says that it's normal for the USB ports to stay on after shutdown, but it does shut off for Windoze.

Still looking for info...

Roger Davis

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
After longer use of the Ubuntu installation, I see that the USB card reader will shut off on shutdown about one time out of 10 or 15 or so - the other 14 it stays on. Of course, it still always shuts down under Windows 10.