Question Ubuntu 18.04 Boot not reaching the login screen

May 30, 2019
Hi
I built a new Ubuntu only machine and it was working fine for two weeks and today when I tried to boot, the pc boots to the purple ubuntu screen , flashes a black screen with lot of disk activity screen and stuck at a black screen I couldn't do any further
Looking for some directions to solve this issue

Motherboard: ASUS Z390E
Graphics: NVIDIA 2080Ti
RAM: 64GB
OS DISK: M2 NVMe
CPU: Intel i7 9000k

Thanks

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Is this black screen completely blank? Or is the "disk activity" text sill visible? Or is it a black screen with a single "-" in the corner?

I think every time that I've had an Ubuntu based distro not boot after install it was either that Grub didn't install properly, or there is an issue with how it chose the graphics driver.

You have a pretty state of the art machine, I don't think all of your hardware existed when 18.04 was released, you may need to run something with a newer kernel, like 19.04.

May 30, 2019
Hi, the screen is completely black, the purple screen and the disk activity disappears in few seconds, I do think it is related to the Graphics . But I do not know how to resolve what's going on with the graphics. As I could see the system boots up