Question Ubuntu 22.04 keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
I decided that I wanted Ubuntu on my laptop, since Windows 10 and Windows 7 are just not good options for it in many ways. Anyways, when I was installing Ubuntu, the installation would constantly freeze, and I couldn't install it. I fixed this by turning on Safe Graphics, but now that it's installed, it's freezing even more often. My head is going to explode. I'm so frustrated with this. Can someone please tell me how I can prevent Ubuntu from freezing?

I decided that I wanted Ubuntu on my laptop, since Windows 10 and Windows 7 are just not good options for it in many ways. Anyways, when I was installing Ubuntu, the installation would constantly freeze, and I couldn't install it. I fixed this by turning on Safe Graphics, but now that it's installed, it's freezing even more often. My head is going to explode. I'm so frustrated with this. Can someone please tell me how I can prevent Ubuntu from freezing?
Tell us about the disk you're trying to install it on. Does it have a GPT identifier and is all of the space partition free and unallocated?

May 29, 2022
Lately the issue is with using wayland as opposed to xOrg causing freezing,
which are used for rendering your display...wayland is much newer, and so still
has a lot of issues that prevent it from working ideally. I've had so many problems
with it doing the exact same thing, causing freezing, that I wonder why it isn't disabled
by default, and optional to try to get working.

Generally everything else works perfectly out of the box with most linux operating
systems these days.

At the login screen, under the password field, you’ll see a gear icon. Just click on it and you’ll see two options here. The default Ubuntu means it will be using Wayland while Ubuntu on Xorg obviously means it will use Xorg. You can select Ubuntu on Xorg to use Xorg here.

My jaw literally dropped when I read your post because linux is so stable and fast that it typically doesn't suffer problems like that which are common on the main-stream bloated operating systems; and I made an account to try and help you.

LTL428

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Considering that you've given absolutely no information other than "freezing" no one is going to have the slightest idea where to start.
Sorry. I've taken a few days to see what the issue is. So it seems that the hard drive is for some reason turning off, which is why it has been freezing.

Also, I really just don't even want to use Ubuntu anymore after this experience. I tried to install windows from the ISO. I mounted it and then tried to open the setup file but it said (I'm honestly not gonna go back and check) something like "There's no recommended app to open this". Is there an app I can use to open the Windows installer?
Sorry if I get a few things wrong whenever I say anything; I've almost never used Ubuntu and I don't much care to get to know it.

Sorry. I've taken a few days to see what the issue is. So it seems that the hard drive is for some reason turning off, which is why it has been freezing.

Also, I really just don't even want to use Ubuntu anymore after this experience.
It seems that Ubuntu will run just fine, as it does for the vast majority of users if you simply take the time to figure out why the drive spins down. Hint: It's likely a BIOS setting.

I tried to install windows from the ISO. I mounted it and then tried to open the setup file but it said (I'm honestly not gonna go back and check) something like "There's no recommended app to open this". Is there an app I can use to open the Windows installer?
Sorry if I get a few things wrong whenever I say anything; I've almost never used Ubuntu and I don't much care to get to know it.
That's absolutely NOT the way you install Windows. Boot the DVD/USB stick and you'll find that the installer runs just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.