News Ubuntu 22.10 Released With Improved Steam App, GNOME 43, RISC-V Support

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Except that they now shove snaps and auto-updates forcibly down your throat. Good riddance Ubuntu. I have moved to Mint.

My entire experience installing and configuring Ubuntu 20.04 was a disaster. Nothing worked out of the box. You have to search the web and edit config files to get the audio to work. You have to install the nvidia drivers (that they tell you not to) to get video playback to work without stuttering. And the network... omg. Between the auto-poweroff and connectivity-checking it is a nightmare to get smooth consistent wifi working. And then vmware is it's own disaster. God forbid you have TPM enabled in your bios. And then it doesn't even work reliably! Vm's have input lag and slow down even worse over time. It's like someone at Ubuntu, internally, is trying to take them down. IMHO they have succeeded.

No thank you Ubuntu. I do not want your broken software. I'm now a Mint fan. It all just works, straight out of the box.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Except that they now shove snaps and auto-updates forcibly down your throat. Good riddance Ubuntu. I have moved to Mint.

My entire experience installing and configuring Ubuntu 20.04 was a disaster. Nothing worked out of the box.

If you want everything working out of the box, PoP OS is even better than Mint at that.

Both Mint and PoP OS are great user-friendly distros for consumers.

Many distros have this policy that every single driver / software needs to be open source or otherwise can't be included. PoP OS doesn't give a damn about this and just includes what people need to have a fully functioning user-friendly OS out of the box.

Even though Mint and PoP OS are both distros that are based off Ubuntu, Ubuntu itself is not really designed for consumers. Ubuntu's customers are all corporate.

Last edited:
If you want everything working out of the box, PoP OS is even better than Mint at that.

Both Mint and PoP OS are great user-friendly distros for consumers.

Many distros have this policy that every single driver / software needs to be open source or otherwise can't be included. PoP OS doesn't give a damn about this and just includes what people need to have a fully functioning user-friendly OS out of the box.

Even though Mint and PoP OS are both distros that are based off Ubuntu, Ubuntu itself is not really designed for consumers. Ubuntu's customers are all corporate.
Ubuntu used to be a user-friendly Debian, but the push for Snaps has made it, to me, pretty much a pain to deal with : I know have to manage two package managers, one of which is slow and buggy.
I think I'll simply bite the bullet : with Debian having OK'd firmware binaries in the install media, my next reformat will go to it. I merely need to experiment on a throwaway machine before I do in my main rig. Or, I may use that opportunity to switch to an NVMe SSD.

D

Deleted member 14196

Too bad popos can’t be installed to a VM. Every other distro can pop 0S is a toy as far as I’m concerned. It’s too dumbed down fo me anyway

I downloaded a premade VM and tried it, and it sucked

I’m sticking with opensuse