Ubuntu, After the Download

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I finally downloaded a copy of Ubuntu. I burned the file into a CD. I double clicked on the
burned file. I got an error message saying that windows cannot open the file. Any help
in this matter will be appreciated.

Thank you

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Based on what you have said, I think your problem is that you didn't actually burn the iso ONTO a disk, you burned it INTO a disk. So, you have a cd with one huge file in it that is almost 700MB. This is not what you want to do.

If you have a program like Nero, what you can do is look for an option on there that says "burn cd image", at which point it will tell you to pick a file. What you then need to do is pick the .iso file for the ubuntu install disk and nero should pretty much take care of the rest for you. If you don't have nero, try searching for a similar option in whatever cdburning program you use.

-Zorak

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Thanks guys, you are correct. I burned it as a data file. I just burned it as an ISO. Now what do I do. Do I click on the file, or do I boot up with the CD in the drive. I would like to run it from the CD to see whether I like it. Any help is appreciated.

apprentice25

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The CD Burn was sucessful. I booted up the computer, and Ubuntu was there. I am ashamed to say it, I froze, not knowing what to do. I removed the CD, and then rebooted back to XP. There were many choices and I did not know which one to select. I want to run it from the CD. Also, what is meant by an alive CD?

Thanks again

Daniel

linux_0

Splendid
A Live CD lets you run the entire OS directly from the CD without having to install it onto a hard drive.

Live DVDs work the same way except they hold a lot more stuff :)

linux_0

Splendid
Turn your PC off unplug you hard drive or hard drives, turn it back on, boot from the Live CD and enjoy.

There is almost nothing you could possibly break with the Live CD with the hard drives unplugged so you can do whatever you want.

You learn by messing with it :)

Play around, click everything and enjoy.

GL :)

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
The above advice of learning by messing with Linux certainly is good advice and applies to other areas as well. It is often said that when learning another language the best thing you can do is completely immerse yourself in it for a month or two. You'd be surprised what you can learn in a short amount of time with total immersion.

Of course, this doesn't completely compare to the idea of learning a new language as many of the same practices that you are used to in windows may translate over to linux, but you get the idea.

Good luck to you.

-Zorak