Ubuntu Command Line Tools Come To Windows Store As An App

Status
Not open for further replies.

theLaminator88

Commendable
Jul 12, 2017
I've been using this for a couple of months now and it's been great. There are a few quirks, but as the article states it's not a full blown Ubuntu install. I run an X-Server (xming) on my Win 10 desktop and pass my display variable (from Ubuntu) back to it so I can use Terminator and other graphical tools. It hasn't replaced my Fedora install and probably never will, but I find myself using my Fedora box less and less.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
In research most the people I know use macs. The result is some of tools I need for analyzing sequencing data are built on *nix only python libraries. WSL came around just as I was starting and has saved me from having to switch from PC to mac. Which is exactly the scenario MS was hoping for. It is a little quirky at times, but I don't have to carve off a chunk of my laptop's drive or ram for a vm. Heck I can even run the new aligners on my machine and skip using the compute cluster all together.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As with many new features, the Ubuntu app is now available to members of the Windows Insider Program, but it should be soon be available to everyone.
I thought this had been available to Insiders for nearly a year, now. Phoronix was certainly testing it last year. I guess this is just proceeding at Microsoft speed.

Anyway, I've used Cygwin-X for over a decade. For my purposes, this doesn't really add anything. I can see the benefit of being able to run proprietary Linux binaries without having to recompile, but if you just want to use standard tools I recommend checking out Cygwin. It's a little rough around the edges, but probably has a broader range of packages out of the box.

Frank_139

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
You are wrong, this is a full linux distro running as a subsystem under windows. It works like of like wine in reverse interpreting and translating syscals. If you install xming and type export display 0:0 in the bash shell you can run gui apps like Firefox.

alextheblue

Distinguished

WSL/Ubuntu is not new, but the prebuilt app form of Linux distros for WSL is new. In other words, it's new to the Store. Having a store version makes it easier to keep up to date among other benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS