Ubuntu For Android to be Shown Next Week at MWC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

d-isdumb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I like the new Unity Desktop that Ubuntu started with 11.04. I fought it at first, still preferring Gnome but it quickly grew on me and now I see why they switched. It will run on smart phones too, shows how low profile it really is. The new Unity desktop of Ubuntu is allot like OS X with the default menu bar on the left side of the screen instead of the bottom that OS X uses. Both are switchable, OS X being much easier to switch.

G

Why the hell is single core not supported ?? as far as not being able to root the phone and install it on your own, we will see about that :)

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
You know Unity core isn't ready for prime time when you can't do full screen with it while hiding the status bar :p

Excited about this phone/desktop combo though :)

indian-art

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Very smart move by Ubuntu. Just read this month "IDC report says smartphones outsell computers for the first time". http://www.gsmarena.com/idc_report_says_smartphones_outsell_computers_for_the_first_time-news-2303.php

In many parts of the world convenient, affordable & portable computing & broadband is thanks to smart phones.

Full points to Canonical / Ubuntu for being so innovative & moving ahead quickly with the times.

Google should support this. Chrome OS is great but I feel a bit ahead of its time in the sense too reliant on being online. In today's world broadband is yet to be universal like air, water, electricity etc. This is where they can support Ubuntu for now. Android can do all the light work & Ubuntu the heavy lifting. Chrome OS can step in later.

indian-art

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]indian-art[/nom]Very smart move by Ubuntu. Just read this month "IDC report says smartphones outsell computers for the first time". http://www.gsmarena.com/idc_report [...] s-2303.phpIn many parts of the world convenient, affordable & portable computing & broadband is thanks to smart phones.Full points to Canonical / Ubuntu for being so innovative & moving ahead quickly with the times.Google should support this. Chrome OS is great but I feel a bit ahead of its time in the sense too reliant on being online. In today's world broadband is yet to be universal like air, water, electricity etc. This is where they can support Ubuntu for now. Android can do all the light work & Ubuntu the heavy lifting. Chrome OS can step in later.[/citation]

Sorry, this is the link I wanted to send: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/article2880913.ece

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
So we can finally have a real work-capable OS environment on a smartphone.

This is good news for those who actually want to get things done on a tablet; we can have full office apps instead of the very feature-limited "office" apps that Android offers.

Now, people can actually replace netbooks and laptops (assuming someone offers a dock like the Motorola Atrix; which while cool was still useless for real work because it still ran Android while docked)- so that tablets and smartphones will actually be worth the purchase as a full computing device.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This actually makes alot of sense. Same as it was back in 1995 when the public was finally aware of the existance of the internet. It quickly became the hottest topic for several years and now smartphones has restarted that interest again. Current smartphones won't entirely replace your PC just yet but it is nice to have all your information, pictures, documents, files, e-mails and music stored on the same device and always available to you on the go. Dedicated devices such as MP3 players are quickly becoming anicent way of doing things. Now smartphones can do just about anything thanks to the thousands and thousands of apps and instant access to the internet.

Soon we will able to pull up the app on the smartphone to check with the fridge to see if anything needs to be picked up the store before heading home from work. There is already an app that lets you check on the garage door. It's pretty much limitless as to what these things can do now.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Wow! Me like!!
A complete computer inside a handheld device!
I had problems in the beginning with getting accustomed to the Unity interface. But now I just love it and will never go back to the old menu system.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The main issue with bringing the desktop to the mobile device is that it cant be done with current hardware.

For example My x86 or x64 exe files (eg I really like miro) apps will not work on my ARM based mobile device

What the makers of ubuntu want to do is basically bring the ubuntu UI to a mobile device (which will be an improvement if it can be either the gnome or KDE UI but not the unity crap.

What we need is to get rid of ARM and move to chips that can handle the same code as a desktop or laptop CPU that way you can truly have an environment where the same programs on your desktop will run on your mobile phone and the makers of said programs can have multiple UI's like what they do now with android where the same program will look differently whether it is run on a tablet or a small screen smartphone.

The way it is now seems like the windows 8 crap where the Amish or other groups not too experienced with smartphones and tablets, will think that their desktop applications will run on their tablet but in reality, you will only get a similar UI but thats where it ends, the applications on the desktop PC will not work on the ARM tablet

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]The main issue with bringing the desktop to the mobile device is that it cant be done with current hardware.For example My x86 or x64 exe files (eg I really like miro) apps will not work on my ARM based mobile device...[/citation]

Who runs exe files on Ubuntu, besides those using Wine? 90% of the Linux software is Open Source and can easially be compiled/ported to ARM.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i wonder when and what devices will offer this...

i hope the big boys like motorola and samsung are on the boat

and i wonder what google thinks about this

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I wonder where the Android 4 ICS version is. Android is moving on, striving to unify their OS. Since they've gotten it working on 2.3, it probably won't take long for them to port to 4 and/or the rumored 5 Jellybean. Now that I have a phone with ICS on it, I don't want to go back.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
It is great to have a decent free operating system on handhelds.

That being said, I fail to see why they had to make the OS worse for desktop power users at the same time. There was no need to totally remove functionality that power users liked, it could have just been removed from the default system.

Hopefully they'll add the missing functionality and configurability back into Unity as it matures.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]The main issue with bringing the desktop to the mobile device is that it cant be done with current hardware.For example My x86 or x64 exe files (eg I really like miro) apps will not work on my ARM based mobile deviceWhat the makers of ubuntu want to do is basically bring the ubuntu UI to a mobile device (which will be an improvement if it can be either the gnome or KDE UI but not the unity crap.What we need is to get rid of ARM and move to chips that can handle the same code as a desktop or laptop CPU that way you can truly have an environment where the same programs on your desktop will run on your mobile phone and the makers of said programs can have multiple UI's like what they do now with android where the same program will look differently whether it is run on a tablet or a small screen smartphone.The way it is now seems like the windows 8 crap where the Amish or other groups not too experienced with smartphones and tablets, will think that their desktop applications will run on their tablet but in reality, you will only get a similar UI but thats where it ends, the applications on the desktop PC will not work on the ARM tablet[/citation]

You're confusing instruction set compatibility with hardware capabilities.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]so, how will they manage the proprietary drivers from all hundreds of devices?this will not work.[/citation]
It is being installed by the manufacturer so it shouldn't be too bad as they'll need to get it all working before they can sell it. Way easier than in the desktop and even laptop market. Of course once we can upgrade the internals of a cell phone... man that would be awesome.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I was basing my reply more on an already implemented design of windows 8 for desktop and tablet. The tablet version will not run the applications from the desktop version, thus making the only thing similar between the 2, the metro UI crap.

ubuntu is essentially doing the same thing.

You may get the unity UI but the similarity ends there, you wont be installing the desktop version of firefox, chrome, open office, your various coding and compiling tools, gimp, various other tools, unless they make a ARM version.

Because of this, a user is not provided with the desktop experience on their mobile device, because the applications will not be the same on both devices, meaning you cant work on something like a file in gimp then continue to work on it with your mobile device, then dock it with your desktop system and sync the files over and finish working on it on your desktop PC.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"The new Unity desktop of Ubuntu is allot like OS X with the default menu bar on the left side of the screen instead of the bottom that OS X uses."

Find the comparison of Ubuntu with the OS X jail kind of disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS