[SOLVED] Ubuntu formatted drive to windows format

crchisholm

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
Hi,
I am trying to upgrade a computer from a single 1TB drive on Windos 10 to multiple drives with a 0.5TB SSD as the boot drive. I thought that the SSD that I was going to use had never been used but apparently I had installed Ubuntu on the drive at some point so I would imagine it is formatted for that OS.

How can I reformat it for Windows 10. We use to use FDISK a thousand years ago , but not sure if that's still the best route. Do I crank up the computer with the old windows 10 drive and then run FDisk?

Solution
I think I figured out the issue. I noticed when I would fire up the computer, before it would go to Ubuntu, the screen would flash very quickly, go blank and start ubuntu. I tried several times and found that a message was being displayed to hit a key to boot from DVD. It was comming up and disappearing before I could read anything and had to go throught the process a few times, but it finally worked.

I think Im good for now. Thanks a lot

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
I am trying to upgrade a computer from a single 1TB drive on Windos 10 to multiple drives with a 0.5TB SSD as the boot drive. I thought that the SSD that I was going to use had never been used but apparently I had installed Ubuntu on the drive at some point so I would imagine it is formatted for that OS.

How can I reformat it for Windows 10. We use to use FDISK a thousand years ago , but not sure if that's still the best route. Do I crank up the computer with the old windows 10 drive and then run FDisk?
Is this to be a secondary drive or an OS drive?

If secondary, Disk Management, delete all partitions, New Simple Volue and reformat as desired (NTFS).

If an OS drive, in the system where it will live, the OS install routine lets you delete all partitions and proceed on with a blank drive.

crchisholm

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
yes, but that is not happening. I disconnected all but the SSD and restarted the machine, going into bios, I set the boot drive to the DVD and put the Windows 10 instqallation drive in the computer. I fire it up. It goes into UBUNTU. not sure where to go from there

crchisholm

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
I think I figured out the issue. I noticed when I would fire up the computer, before it would go to Ubuntu, the screen would flash very quickly, go blank and start ubuntu. I tried several times and found that a message was being displayed to hit a key to boot from DVD. It was comming up and disappearing before I could read anything and had to go throught the process a few times, but it finally worked.

I think Im good for now. Thanks a lot

Solution