Ubuntu Help Needed With Data Recovery

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hi,

I am currently trying to fix my mum's laptop and rescure her data. She told me that her laptop was updating Windows 10 when it crashed. Now when you try to boot up you cannot enter the bios and it is stuck in an eternal loop where it tries to run repair and diagnostics before restarting and doing the same again.

I have taken the hard drive out and put it in a docking station which I connected to my PC. In Windows the drive was not recognised, so I decided to try it in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu it is seeing some of the drive. Here is a list of the partitions it sees:

Samsung_rec
Samsung_rec2
860058E50058DDAD
B67AA40D7AA3C887
Windows RE tools

Unfortunately none of the partitions with her data can be seen.

I know there is a chance the data can be recovered in Ubuntu as I have done it before ages ago. My problem is I have forgotten how to do.

I am currently running Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS as "TRY IT" and do not have it installed. I was wondering if someone could help me to try and recover the data. Tried to use test disk but can't recall how to install. Here is what I tried in the terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ testdisk device
The program 'testdisk' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install testdisk
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install testdisk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package testdisk
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ testdisk device
The program 'testdisk' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ enable universe
bash: enable: universe: not a shell builtin
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I downloaded it from here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Thanks

What does "sudo parted -l" output?

First you shouls Grab a windows installation disk and and use recovery mode to run an fsck on the drive (can only be done via windows with version newer or equal than what the drive was created with). That usually fixes most issues like this.

Testdisk is already in the ubuntu repository. To install test disk you first enable universe repository in /etc/apt/sources.list (connected to internet) type:
Code:
sudo apt-get update 

Please also read the ubuntu wiki on data recovery. (Ie you should make an image of the drive with ddrescue first)

all of this info can easier found on Google and i hope you do not destroy you mothers data accidentally ;)

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Please excuse my ignorance as it has been a while since I have used Ubuntu and I was far from pro the last time as well.

Output from sudo parted -l:

Model: ATA ST1000DM003-1CH1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
2 106MB 157GB 157GB primary ntfs
3 157GB 315GB 157GB primary ntfs
4 315GB 472GB 157GB primary ntfs

Model: NORELSYS 106X (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 839MB 315MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
3 839MB 973MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 973MB 473GB 472GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 473GB 473GB 493MB ntfs hidden, diag
6 473GB 474GB 366MB ntfs hidden, diag
7 474GB 499GB 25.5GB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
8 499GB 500GB 1074MB fat32 Basic data partition hidden, diag

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!

===========================================================================
I was actually reading and trying to work out the wiki already: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step and same with this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

But am unsure exactly what to do as they seem to be taking some things for granted and I feel there are some steps missing as I can't get it to work.

Forgot to mention that the laptop does not have a DVD drive so am currently trying to make bootable USB. However, I should say that I am unable to enter the UEFI and I suspect it has secure boot enabled. :(