Ubuntu Installation fail

Studiologe

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Hi together,
I just got a new computer and I'm having severe problems starting the install of Ubuntu 14.04 as a first OS.

It always goes into a blank black screen and shows a blinking coursor for a while and then it goes completely black (backlight still on)
I'm using the following Hardware components:

Mainboard: Asus Rampage iv extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K
GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-3688-KR GeForce GTX 680 (NVIDIA GeForce)
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 1250W Power Supply
Memory: Corsair CMD16GX3M2A1866C9 DDR3 1866 (4 Modules at 8GB = 32GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DL003 (2000GB) SATA3 6Gb/s connected at an SATA3 6Gb-Port
DVD: Some HP DVD SATA3 also connected to SATA3 6Gb/s Port (would have to look what model it is, but it recognizes it and boots from it)

I'm absolutely unsure what settigns I need in the BIOS to make sure it boots ok.
I've seen many other posts already, but couldn't find anything that applies to my sprecific situation.

I tried different settings in the BIOS, but I'm absolutely clueless on which settings I need in the BIOS.
Further I did already try the different boot options from the install menu
acpi=off
noapic
nodmraid
nomodeset
But that also didn't make a difference.
I personally think the problem is in the bios settings and I'm not sure where. If someone installed any Linux flavor successfully before with this HW Configuration or a similar one, please advise me through the settings in the BIOS as there are so many options....
Do I need AHCI, UEFI and what is all that stuff anyways :-(

I'm so excited and would love to use the weekend to get this working and sorted out and I would absoulutely appreciate any support you guys can give me!!

Please help :-(
Thanks

Studiologe

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
Hi again!

I did try all the hassle with
acpi=off
noapic
nodmraid
nomodeset
and also
Before "quiet splash," I included "acpi _ osi=Linux acpi _ backlight=vendor".

But I just can't get Ubuntu install to start it always goes to the black screen :-(

Then I downloaded a gentoo liveCD and I was able to boot into the LiveCD,
that basically just confirms, that I do NOT have any Hardware issues right? As the PC seems to be
working fine, just that there is an issues with getting the graphics mode or AHCI or UEFI or whaterver functioning right to
get to launch the installer... Am I correct with that?

Thanks for any suggestions, Please help me getting Ubuntu up and running as I'm not familiar with Gentoo at all :-/

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'd guiess against BIOS causing failure. Fair chance the OS does **not** support your newish vidcard. Try an older vidcard like an NV650 or legacy NV9xxx.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Your choice of desktop environment will influence the ease of running the live dvd. Xubuntu or Kubuntu may boot into live mode with no problem, while Ubuntu or Lubuntu may cause the issues you are experiencing (whichever one works is a random thing). My opinion is that the nomodeset option is all that's needed. Since you said the backlight remains on after the blinking cursor, I think Ubuntu actually arrived at the desktop screen... you just couldn't see it because the graphics card needs nomodeset to display properly. Even after installing it successfully, you might need to use nomodeset to boot into the login screen... until you are able to install the nvidia proprietary drivers.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I had to retreat all-the-way back to an NV9600 to initially get a working vidcard in U_12.04.