Ubuntu is angering me

Dylan_9999

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
So I just installed ubuntu and im already about to throw my pc out the window. I have a few different problems:

-I have 2 monitors and the same screen is being showed on both of them at the same time
-My sound doesnt work
-Whenever I try to go into "Screen Display" from "System Settings" it just closes the tab.
-The wifi is troubling to connect.
- Screen is laggy sometimes as if I have a weak graphic card. (I have a gtx 970)

If someone could answer some or all of these answers then I will praise you as a god because my blood pressure is consistent to that of molasses.

Ubuntu is angering me

I think you need to take a step back and dust of your google-fu skills; no need to be angry at a computer :)

Screen is laggy sometimes as if I have a weak graphic card. (I have a gtx 970)

Not even sure what version of ubuntu you are using as you do not specify. In linux the drivers and driver versions are tied to the version of linux you are using, so newer versions of your distrobution will have newer drivers. The GTX970 is a very new card and not well supported by the default drivers (not even sure what version of ubuntu you are using?). Same goes for motherboard drivers, sound drivers etc. Regadless the Nvidia proprietary driver will have better performance than the default opensource driver. You can install the latest Ubuuntu supported version the 'additional drivers' settings, or grab the very latest from Nvidia by adding the Xorg-edgers ppa.

How to get latest proprietary driver from nvidia:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
Then reboot.

I have 2 monitors and the same screen is being showed on both of them at the same time.
The default behavior is 'mirror/clone' mode (useful for laptops connecting to projectors), you can change this numerous ways. Via the command line with Xrandr (or any other front end for randr) or ubuntu display preferences(this is a frontend for randr), or if you have installed Nvidia proprietary driver it has its own built in display preferences feature i believe.

My sound doesnt work
The most common cause it that your sound is working but the default output device is the HDMI port or some other device. Usually you just need to select the device in sound preferences or 'pavucontrol'. You can see which device is listed first with this with command
Code:
sudo aplay -l

The wifi is troubling to connect.
This is a real issue with linux (wifi device manufactures generally don't care about linux so do not release good quality drivers) and it is strongly dependent on the card you have. Which card (and version#) do you have?

To avoid driver issues in the future its always advisable to purchase devices with known good linux support. HP printers for example have excellent linux support and generally 'just work'. ThinkPenguin sells devices that are well tested under linux and 'just work':
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux
If you search around you can find devices with the same chipsets as the thinkpenguin. TPlink devices for example commonly have Atheros chipsets and generally 'just work'