Ubuntu Linux Claims 12 Million Users and Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
10.04 owns. Now has native iphone support, no need to compile around with usbmuxd. I've been using beta since the end of march, no stability issues yet.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Love Ubuntu. absolutely love it. Running it on my netbook, and it has better support for all the ACPI stuff, buttons, hardware and gimmicky things than what Win7 does.

can't wait for 10.04 just not looking forward to purlish look. oh well I'll just change it back to the "Dust" I have now.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Good job Ubuntu. I have been using it as a server for over a year now and it is flawless. People complain about it but for most peoples daily use, Ubuntu is all you need. Anyway, its great to see they are getting even more support than anticipated.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
REWORD! What I meant to say was that "Ubuntu has run Flawlessly as my server". Obviously Ubuntu as an OS is not flawless (none of them are)

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
i love ubuntu but always had a soft spot for fedora ... not as big as a community but that distro is remarkable.

i used to have a separate pc as my home firewall using fedora :)

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]Only if the whole world used Linux...[/citation]
Some times I come out like Linux zealot, but I think it is bad idea for every one to use Linux. I hope you met if everyone was using open platforms, where data structures are open and well documented. Open standards like ODF, open APIs like OpenGL, OpenCL and etc. Where programmers are focusing on implementing the new ideas instead of building 'walls' or reverse engineering or worst reinventing the wheel again to ovoid some stupid patent. If this is what you mean using Linux I am all for it. There are other open platforms like FreeBSD, OpenSolaris and etc. that could use some help from everyone.

G

i love using Linux its works when all others fail. it has saved my pcs on so many occasions. it is the only OS that can use the phrase "it just works".

G

Ubuntu is great, only problem I ever have with Linux is the asinine support for Wireless USB Dongles.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ScoobyJooby-Jew[/nom]linux is awesome, but doesnt like to play with my 5750[/citation]

If that's the case what's awesome about it? Enlighten me please, what's so awesome about an OS that can't run properly on "common" hardware?

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]If that's the case what's awesome about it? Enlighten me please, what's so awesome about an OS that can't run properly on "common" hardware?[/citation]

I'm not a linux fanboi, but how is it Ubuntu's fault that ATI can't release functional linux drivers?

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I like Ubuntu, for my netbook, which actually its having problems with brightness flicking.. some bug, I checked...
I couldn't use it on my main PC though.. it would be a waste of graphic card.
Or at least too much trouble to install a game.
Besides that I love Ubuntu, it's great for every day task and doesn't push hard on the lil' netbook.

G

ubuntu is getting better with every new iteration

i prefer mint because i do not have to spend my days on ubuntu forums figuring out why hibernation does not work, or my wlan card does not support returning from stand by, etc

ubuntu is demo, mint is polished end user product

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]12 million users and Canonical is still not making any profits, talk about a bad business to be in.[/citation]They're breaking even. Gaining market share isn't cheap. Look at how many quarters AMD hasn't been profitable in the last ten years.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ScoobyJooby-Jew[/nom]linux is awesome, but doesnt like to play with my 5750[/citation]While this could be a Linux compatibility problem with your particular configuration, full use of the card requires AMD's fglrx drivers. If they don't work then it's their fault, just like it was Nvidia's fault that their drivers didn't work well with Vista when it was first released.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Are they counting my virtual machines running in windows 7 as multiple users?[/citation]Maybe they're counting retail sales. :p

G

[citation][nom]ScoobyJooby-Jew[/nom]linux is awesome, but doesnt like to play with my 5750[/citation]
Well, tell ATI/AMD to get off their a$$ and make a better driver for us Linux users. I've been running my 7600gs Nvidia for 3 years with compiz no problem. I do understand that ATI needs better Linux drivers because of all of the complaints I find online due to them not doing a good job on certain setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.