Ubuntu Linux Dual-Boot Installation: Complex Problems

Aereto

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
My transition from Windows only to Windows/Linux User is found to be more difficult than most users. As I find difficulties finding solutions compatible to the situation, I have to cast a wider net and ask for advice and assistance if I were to begin as a new Linux user beyond classroom introductions.

To first explain, I have a PC personally built a year ago, and now proceeding to perform the next phase and expand the build's functionality and capabilities. It has taken a year to research and prepare resources to set up, and caught into hampering snags in the implementation process.

The distribution chosen was Ubuntu as a main Linux OS, and also set to perform virtualization and produce a VM in a separate hard drive dedicated for one partition. The build is first installed with Windows 7, with the motherboard running in Intel RST RAID mode to establish and maintain a RAID 1 3TD HDD pair for Win 7 to use as a data storage drive.

The initial attempts to install Ubuntu in a separate drive come with problems that I can list:

• Ubuntu install/live USB cannot detect any SATA/NVMe drive while motherboard is in RST mode, detectable only in AHCI mode.
    Installing Ubuntu in AHCI mode would require that I must switch back to RST whenever I want to boot Win 7.
    Switching back to AHCI also treats the RAID 1 drives as a single drive, raising concerns of potential integrity and recovery compromise despite the fact that they will not be used by Ubuntu.

I have one main goal to fulfill specifically for this situation: Install and Boot Linux (any distro with KVM) with Intel RST in place.

I may have to uninstall Ubuntu in the process and purge its boot option since it is installed in AHCI.

Known and Planned Drive configuration:

• Windows 7: 500GB NVMe SSD, 500GB SATA SSD, 2 3TB SATA HDD in RAID 1
    Linux: 500GB SATA HDD
    Virtual Machine: 1TB SATA HDD

I am all ears on the subject, but because my Windows drives carry mission-critical data, I cannot afford to have additional facedesking despite having backup images of their partitions that was used once during the transition from 250GB NVMe to 500GB NVMe.

Solution
After extensive research for approaches I was able to get that solved, with a full disk wipe and removing past Ubuntu UEFI boot options as an added measure.

Aereto

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
After extensive research for approaches I was able to get that solved, with a full disk wipe and removing past Ubuntu UEFI boot options as an added measure.

Solution