Ubuntu-Powered Tablets Coming From Startup MJ Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
That's pretty beefy for a tablet. Just put my daughter's hp stream 7 to windows 10 and it breezes through everything tablet like and most desktop stuff with 1gb single channel ram and a chip that drops to 1580mhz with 4 cores. You'd think that MJ would crush Linux.

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
@Targetdrone to answer your question, Yes the tablet will be full featured and have access to security updates and the Ubuntu repo.

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
The tablet will have a full virtual keyboard that will appear when any text entry field is tapped on and disappear when you tap outside of the field.

@Targetdrone to answer your question, Yes the tablet will be full featured and have access to security updates and the Ubuntu repo.

Plus, this is linux were talking about. Linux isn't prone to nearly as many security threats as the more popular OSes, namely microsoft windows.

That tablet looks very nice! I personally have used ubuntu since verison 5 on a virtual machine every now and then and it's nice to see it getting more popular!

GoZFast

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Nice to see linux tablets. I hope its not preloaded with addons software. Price would look better at 329$ and 379$ for the 10.1''. I hope its Intel Core M 14nm+Intel HD graphics SoC. We will get 100% linux smartphones with mobile interface soon I guess. +1 Maybe bundle a magnet tablet with it if at 399$?

Linux can still get some viruses, I had 2 live detections from browsing cookies mainly, scanning detected mostly windows viruses. Newer viruses are infecting computers with just browsing data/cookies autoredirecting adress bar sites to ads based websites. Its a great idea to autoclear cache at exit.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Finally, a tablet I wouldn't mind spending money on.

The specs would run full desktop Ubuntu like a breeze, a fully decked out Ubuntu install with a school and photography workflow implemented (LibreOffice, GIMP, Darktable, Inscape, Dia, etc) is under 9GB so there is plenty of room to spare there.

All it needs is a dock.

jt87

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
Judging from just the specs, this should be a beast of a tablet, aiming squarely at the middle to upper end of the tablet market (with Ipads and Notes clearly the targeted base.)

Will be very much looking forward to ordering one once they start taking pre-orders. This is one time where I have to hesitation in saying "just take my money, Ok?".

emblemparade

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
So, here's the problem: Ubuntu Touch and Ubuntu Desktop have not converged yet. This is Ubuntu Desktop. Meaning that it will not be touch friendly. This is basically the same as the PC tablets we've been seeing for years.

The two Ubuntus are not even very near to convergence. :( How bad is it? There's not even an x86 version of Ubuntu Touch...

Windows 10, I hope, is putting fire under Ubuntu's feet here.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Looking forward to this. I've been waiting for a good Linux based (non-Android) tablet to come to market. Hopefully the Ubuntu Touch phones will come to the US soon....

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Ubuntu touch is being worked on but the build currently out has a long way to go from perfection and hopefully by slated October release we will have a reliable version. The Touch features actually work very well on the desktop version with the optimizations we have done so far and will continue to update until and after release.

Mark Jun

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/daily-preinstalled/current/

Status
Not open for further replies.