Ubuntu Smartphones Launching in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I would definitely be interested if it has a good app selection, low power usage, and speedy boot.
Android has to be rooted and becomes fragmented very quickly..

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]CaptainTom[/nom]Wait. Could this run STEAM for linux?! Left For Dead 2 on the go!!!![/citation]

My god, man - that's so crazy it just might work.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]CaptainTom[/nom]Wait. Could this run STEAM for linux?! Left For Dead 2 on the go!!!![/citation]
That would be awesome!
You could probably install it on tablets, etc.

G

except L4D2 has been made to run on x86 Linux, not ARM, would require a lot more work

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Well that's the thing though. My question is if this is 100% compatible with standard linux or if it is like lame mobile windows 8?

Again, imagine if the next version of mobile windows was 100% compatible with standard programs. You could use a mini hdmi to plug your phone into a tv and then play your PC games ANYWHERE. I would love this...

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
developers to create a single app for both the desktop and the PC

Not sure how these two are different or what they have to do with a smartphone?

Will it run Android apps? Will it have an emulator for Android apps? How will they get developers? I really dislike Ubuntu's desktop. Xubuntu or Xfce is much better. I do like Unity's task bar (very Win7 like) but the lack of traditional start menu makes it useless for me.

Funny how Ubuntu is doing what I hoped MS would do with Win8 and WP8 but instead we end up with three distinct OS's.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wozza365[/nom]except L4D2 has been made to run on x86 Linux, not ARM, would require a lot more work[/citation]
Ubuntu Phone will also be available for x86 phones.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I wish somebody brings this to Galaxy Note. It would be nice to try out a different OS for a change. On my Note, ICS is getting slower and slower, and leaked JB is slugish too with all those new screen effects.

metalmechanic

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I don't know why, but I somewhat like Ubuntu even though I hardly ever boot up that OS off my HDD. I wish they could pick up some market share and hopefully this will help them do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.