Ubuntu SSL LAMP + Email server

lil_reeper_sniper

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Hey guys. I am working for a small business setting them up a small dedicated box for all of their needs.

During this, I have ran into a few problems.

1. SSL/certificates, HOW DO THEY WORK?

This is required for the email server and would also be nice for the web file manager for clients to connect to (https instead of http). I am having trouble figuring out exactly how to set up the certificate/key with my domain. I AM NOT RUNNING A DNS SERVER AND DO NOT PLAN TO. They will not need it.

2. Also, because I am using a domain/DNS through godaddy, do I have to create an MX record too? If so, what does the MX record need to be?

Is it just mydomain.com or is it smtp.mydomain.com? Does there need to be one for IMAP too?

3. How do I configure postfix to be SSL secure?

4. How do I configure postfix to work with SMTP and IMAP for mail clients like thunderbird?

In case you didn't know or just new to this, the last three questions are the exact same thing. They are only worded differently.

1. SSL and its successor TLS are cryptographic protocols operating on the application level of the internet protocol suite. Neither SSL nor TLS are unhackable and unique. They can make use of various ciphers, or cryptographic algorithms. They focus on large pseudo-prime numbers, via a random number generator, that have limited prime factorization, making it very hard to hack. Both SSL and TLS can be used for authentication purposes as well as encrypting files.

HTTPS certificates utilize SSL or TLS for authentication purposes. There are many phony or fake HTTPS certificates. Imagine if a banking website does not use HTTPS. Then someone can easily use cache poisoning or DNS spoofing and steal everyone's credentials. I am sure you are aware of this. Creating a HTTPS certificate is as easy as creating a SSL key. But if it's a public website, you will want that verified or else it can easily be viewed as untrustworthy.

2. Yes. Point it to your server. Handled by Postfix.

3. Postfix has a manual. Read it.

4. This question makes no sense. Thunderbird is independent of a MTA and SMTP. I suggest you read up on the definition of SMTP and IMAP. This question is like me asking you "how do I configure my phone to work with my mobile carrier and CDMA?"

Reason I said the last three questions are the same is because if you knew what Postfix is, you wouldn't ask them.