Ubuntu Touch Launches One Day Before Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Not really sure this is going to change much anything... Though a certain type of person will have some fun loading it onto some touch devices.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Glad to see this is finally happening.

The vision of having a completely uncompromized mobile environment transform into an equally uncompromised desktop environment when docked with a keyboard and or mouse is very interesting. An operating system that adjusts itself based on screen size and the input devices attached to it.

Plug your phone into a dock connected to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard and it becomes a desktop. Plug your tablet into a keyboard dock and it becomes a desktop. Disconnect and it's instantly back to tablet mode. No fussing with different screens, silly start buttons, or a touch interface that also has to be mouse compatible.

Also, since most of the Ubuntu app repository is already optimized for ARM, there are very few compatibility issues that way.

I'm not sure how well received another mobile os will be, but Ubuntu Touch has generally received some pretty good reviews from testers.

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I've been flashing nightly builds onto my Nexus 4 for a while now, and I haven't seen too much progress in the past few weeks. I'm sure that they'll make their deadline, but there are still a few things that need to be ironed out. I can't wait to flash a truly stable version of Ubuntu Touch in a few weeks!

FrankInKY

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I enjoy experimenting with OSs on my desktop but I have my regular OS ghosted so I can restore it when done trying out another OS. Is there a way to ghost the OS on Nexus 7 before installing a different OS? Or do you have to reinstall the old OS and lose all settings and configurations?

You can do a nandroid backup of your system, that will restore the OS and the apps/settings. In order to do that you need to have a custom recovery installed (or at least booted into).
Alternatively, you can use an app to perform a backup of your apps/data (like My Backup or Helium, if not rooted, to use with it's desktop counterpart), or Titanium Backup (if rooted). Also, download the appropriate system image from Google (the one that corresponds to your hardware model). When done experimenting, you can reinstall that factory image, then restore your apps and data from the backup.
Not complicated, but a bit time consuming.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
its a pity the Edge never came out. also a pity i dont have a supported device to try out the os >< will have to wait for wider support and maybe load it onto my old xt910

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Epic would have a hard time sueing Canonical over "UT3" seeing as how it would most likely be a consumer applied acronym and not one applied by Canonical.

Status
Not open for further replies.