ubuntu won't boot because of graphic drivers

Gimly161

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi guys,
I have Ubuntu installed on a USB flash drive and it works ALMOST perfect. i have 2 PCs one with a Nvidia GPU and one with integrated graphics of an Intel I5. now my problem is that if I install Nvidia drivers Ubuntu will work on my Nvidia PC but then it won't work on my Intel PC. then it says this
AiwJH.png
somehow i can't set graphics to default or solve the error in this screen/following screens.

so is there maybe a way to install 2 drivers? I don't exactly know HOW drivers work. I also never succeeded in installing an Intel integrated graphics driver because I can't boot without an Nvidia GPU and if I boot with the Nvidia GPU I can only select Nvidia drivers.

Solution
The kernel contains all drivers necessary to run your hardware. Mouse/keyboard/ethernet/gpu... with Nvidia gpu you have two options, the default free/opensource driver OR install the Nvidia proprietary driver. Here you trade some 3D performance for more convenience.
Normally Linux will detect which hardware is present at boot and load the appropriate driver
When you install the proprietary Nvidia driver it writes its own xorg configuration file which will cause issues if you switch to a machine that does not have nvidia gpu.

If you really need to switch between machines you should stick to the free drivers and not install proprietary nvidia.

If I were you I would just have a separate installation for the Nvidia PC.

Gimly161

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

I have a MSI Geforce GTX 970 as gpu and I5-4690K as CPU
and my second pc has no GPU and an I5-.... I don't know exactly.
I hope this helps

What ubuntu version? GTX 970 not supported by free drivers until kernel version 3.19

Intel drivers (and all hardware drivers) are in a similar situation where the drivers are built into the kernel thus updating kernel/ubuntu version gets you latest drivers. This is important for hardware that was not supported for older versions.

The kernel contains all drivers necessary to run your hardware. Mouse/keyboard/ethernet/gpu... with Nvidia gpu you have two options, the default free/opensource driver OR install the Nvidia proprietary driver. Here you trade some 3D performance for more convenience.
Normally Linux will detect which hardware is present at boot and load the appropriate driver
When you install the proprietary Nvidia driver it writes its own xorg configuration file which will cause issues if you switch to a machine that does not have nvidia gpu.

If you really need to switch between machines you should stick to the free drivers and not install proprietary nvidia.

If I were you I would just have a separate installation for the Nvidia PC.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS