[SOLVED] UEFI boot drive and all other drives Legacy

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I just converted my boot drive from Legacy to UEFI so that I can get faster boot and shutdown times. It worked out pretty well, but now I am wondering about my other drives. I have a 1TBM.2 ssd as my boot drive. I have a 1TB SATA SSD for my game drive. I have a 1TB HDD for music, photos, and other files and a 250 gb HDD for other random stuff. As you can tell every time I do a drive upgrade I just keep my old drives and repurpose them. So I am wondering about my old drives, should I convert them to UEFI also? They seem to still work fine as is, but I am wondering if there is any benefit to doing so.

Solution
The Secure key depends on your motherboard. It likely tells you about it in the manual (sounds like an Asus).

Converting drives that are below 2tb to GPT isn't really needed. Main advantages of GPT over MBR (the legacy format) for storage drives, is it supports drive sizes over 2tb and it lets you have up to 256 partitions on a drive. Best to format new drives as GPT going forward :)

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
UEFI is a bios as opposed to legacy bios in older OSs.
UEFI boot drives are in GPT format as opposed to MBR. No advantage to changing the other drives, all should be in AHCI SATA mode though.
Thanks for the reply. They are configured in AHCI SATA. One thing I noticed was bios updated to UEFI after I rebooted, but secure boot still shows up as disabled in system info. When I tried to enable it in bios it gave me a message saying the (pk) key had to be registered or assigned. So for now I have it disabled until I can figure that out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The Secure key depends on your motherboard. It likely tells you about it in the manual (sounds like an Asus).

Converting drives that are below 2tb to GPT isn't really needed. Main advantages of GPT over MBR (the legacy format) for storage drives, is it supports drive sizes over 2tb and it lets you have up to 256 partitions on a drive. Best to format new drives as GPT going forward :)

Reactions: M3rKn
Solution

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019

Yes that is what I'll be doing moving forward. I'll probably convert all of them next time I reformat, I like to do a fresh install every two years or so.