[SOLVED] UEFI issues, any help appreciated

Feb 9, 2020
Hey guys, I'm having issues with a bunch of UEFI functions. It started when Windows 10 would get stuck in an infinite loading loop when trying to boot from UEFI, so I tried to switch from MBR to GPT but, using command prompt, MBR2GPT fails to validate (providing a very helpful "Disk layout validation failed for disk 0" error [if someone could point me to the logs directory, I'd be more than happy to provide them]). Command prompt also won't format disks (though it provides the text as if it does), nor does it show the proper sizes of free disk space on different disks.

I've researched as much as I can find, but it seems no one else has this particular issue. If anyone could just throw a book at me or something, it'd be much appreciated; I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here.

I think it's also important to note, Windows displays my boot drive as a GPT volume, but won't boot using UEFI, which leads me to believe that somehow it might not be. I don't know, I'm just speculating at this point.

Specs:
Boot drive: WD Blue SSD, 500GB
Other drives: WD Green HDD, 2TB; Seagate Barracuda, 5TB
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, 16GB
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (MS-7B85)
GPU: NVidia GTX 1070

Solution
Your system is booting in UEFI mode. It can not boot in legacy mode.
There's no point in using mbr2gpt utility because your boot drive already is gpt partitioned.
Feb 9, 2020
The BIOS supports both UEFI and Legacy boot options. It's currently in CSM mode with Legacy enabled, as that's the only way it will boot.

6b2ShzM.png

xycNL89.png

This is the Properties view of the drive from Disk Management, as well as the partition information of the drives.

Thanks so much for helping me out, I've got no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Disk Management screenshot doesn't show all the drives.
If "Programs and Documents" partition doesn't have "System" in the description, then your pc is booting in UEFI mode.

mbr2gpt utility can not be used there, because your boot drive already is partitioned in GPT.

Feb 9, 2020
Disk Management screenshot doesn't show all the drives.
If "Programs and Documents" partition doesn't have "System" in the description, then your pc is booting in UEFI mode.

mbr2gpt utility can not be used there, because your boot drive already is partitioned in GPT.

rWQj8AC.png
Sorry about that, I wasn't sure how much information you'd need and I didn't want to send too much at once. The Programs and Documents volume does not have "System" in its description, but the BIOS is set to a legacy boot option.

So the C: drive is partitioned using GPT, then, but for some reason it won't boot via UEFI, since setting the BIOS to do so makes the computer not boot, instead giving me the motherboard logo with the Windows 10 loading circle for all of eternity.

I think it also might be worth mentioning, the D: drive, labelled "Programs and Documents," is partitioned using MBR. Would this difference in drive partition settings make a difference? I've been unable to convert it using mbr2gpt, receiving the same error as my C: drive.

Thanks so much in advance.

Feb 9, 2020
Upon further review, the issue only takes effect when switching the boot mode from "CSM" to "UEFI" in the BIOS under "Windows Boot Options" or some such setting. I misunderstood the setting and thought it was Legacy to UEFI.