UEFI not displaying correctly - MSI Z97 PC Mate

wgehring

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Hello folks, I sincerely hope someone can help me with this. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to UEFI issues.

I have an MSI Z97 PC Mate and am experiencing an issue when trying to access the UEFI. My computer boots into windows without issue and runs normally. However, when I try to access the UEFI, it is unusable.

It displays only a couple of the visual assets (like the OC Genie button and the blue border but none of the other normal buttons or visuals) and it looks like it's half-way off the screen. I can't see my mouse cursor and it doesn't respond to any commands.

I don't even know how I would try to update my bios or change any settings since it doesn't seem to be functioning. Any ideas for what I could do here?

wgehring

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Disconnected GPU and ran display from the on-board HDMI out. This allowed me to see the bios! So I guess if I ever need to access it I can do it this way? Kind of a pain though. My GPU is an R9 280.

ThomasLeong

Honorable
May 27, 2013
I think MSI has problems with their BIOS when it comes to integrated display + 3rd party gpu. Googling brings up other users who face the same hassle with some 3rd party gpus causing no display on MSI motherboards whereas other gpus do not cause the same problem.

I just switched my AS Rock Z87 Extreme4 mobo in an ATX case to a MSI Z97M-G43 in a mATX case bacause I need a smaller case, and spent 2 days trouble-shooting the above scenario with my ASUS HD6950, and older graphics cards (X1800 and X1950). Both the older gfx cards work, but the HD6950 caused a black screen. Have to remove the the HD6950 and use the on-board gpu to get back to BIOS. And this is with BIOS set to PEG. However setting BIOS to iGPU allows the HD6950 to show up on the monitor. But if I want to get back into BIOS, I need to remove the HD6950 and use the onboard - like you. No such problems with the 2 older gfx cards. Google showed up similar problems from others using MSI boards. This will be my first and last MSI board.