[SOLVED] UEFI vs non-UEFI

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I have a dual bios on my sapphire r9 280x.
One is UEFI and the other one is not.
What would give me the lowest latency/highest performance?

Lutfij

Titan
Might we ask what your specs to your build are? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Often times people turn off one or more things in their BIOS and their VBIOS and then complain about instability issues or missing hardware. Also, are you trying to overclock the graphics card? To add, that GPU is way down the pecking order in terms of performance and people who own them either have them on shelves as a memento or they've ended up as e-waste, hence I'd ask you to treat that GPU carefully, considering how the current state of affairs with GPU's isn't good(or most of computer hardware for that matter).

I have a dual bios on my sapphire r9 280x.
One is UEFI and the other one is not.
What would give me the lowest latency/highest performance?
I'm guessing it will be the same. Test it and let us know.

Boot into your OS. Let it sit at the desktop for at least 5 mins. Run 3DMark Time Spy.
Reboot and repeat the process 10 times dropping the lowest and highest results and averaging out the rest.
Do this for each vBIOS.

InvalidError

Titan
UEFI vs Legacy is just the type of vBIOS the GPU will show the computer during POST so the BIOS can display something. Once the OS is loaded, the GPU is under driver control and the vBIOS becomes irrelevant apart from things like clock/voltage tables which should be the same regardless of what boot mode is used.

Legacy BIOS is mainly there to accommodate pre-UEFI systems. Most modern GPUs are UEFI-only.