UEFI Windows 10 USB not booting, just goes to BIOs screen

Catalyst57

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm an extreme newbie at building computers, and for the life of me I cannot figure out what is going wrong with booting the Windows 10 USB that I have. I've consulted Google and while there seem to be people with the same problem, either they never got resolved or the problem was slightly different than mine.

My desktop is brand new, no OS loaded, and the BIOS opens up just fine. I can see the UEFI USB 2.0 option in the Boot menu (so my motherboard does detect it), and I have moved the order so that it boots first from that. But when I restart my computer and open the boot menu with F8, select the UEFI USB 2.0 option, and click OK, my monitor flashes gray a couple times and then opens up the BIOS menu again.

I also tried going into the Boot Override menu in the Advanced options menu and selecting the UEFI USB option there, but still nothing. According to the Google searching, I should be able to boot with CSM Launch and Secure Boot enabled, and the boot set to UEFI Mode and Legacy.

The only other thing I can think of is that I need a dedicated graphics card, since currently I am using the integrated graphics on my motherboard, but the integrated graphics should be enough to handle the boot (as far as I know). My graphics card is on the way but it shipped separately from the rest of my items, unfortunately.

I believe it is one of three problems: 1. My USB is corrupted or is not supported by my motherboard, 2. I need my dedicated graphics card to run the Windows 10 USB bootable, or 3. I must have missed a step somewhere? Maybe the BIOS setup :??:?

I'm sure the ISO was correctly burned to the USB, so the first problem is very unlikely. And if it's the third option, I'm at a loss of what to do next. Any help would be appreciated! (I'm [strike]hoping[/strike] betting it's something really silly, but that'd actually be great if it is because then I can fix it :D)

What I have -
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z270-A
UEFI USB: Windows 10 ISO file that I burned to a 16GB USB 2.0

Thanks!

Catalyst57

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks for the reply!

So I was talking to a person I know who is experienced at building computers and he asked if he could try to boot the USB on his computer just to be sure I did it correctly.... turns out I did not :lol: my bad.

I guess the moral of the story is not to try and burn an ISO onto a USB using a Mac.