[SOLVED] UEFI

Oct 10, 2020
I am setting up a clean install using Win7 SP1 and I am confused about this setting in the bios of the motherboard HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF for enabling UEFI. I have the bios option of “All UEFI” or “All UEFI except Video”. What issues do these settings present and which is the best setting. I would like the know the difference in behaviour of these two settings. Does windows 7 require Legacy video information regardless. My preference is UEFI and AHCI for drives. I have not yet purchased the new graphics card and the wide screen Samsung monitors were purchased around 2010. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Solution
All UEFI. The integrated graphics on that Skylake CPU and any graphics card from the last five or six years, at least, will all be fully UEFI compatible. The monitors shouldn't make any difference anyhow, as those are external to the direct connections to the motherboard and are irrelevant as far as legacy hardware considerations are concerned.

I would highly recommend however, since you are in the process of doing a clean install anyhow, that you consider now being a good time to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Pretty much any new hardware released in the last two years lacks Windows 7 drivers and although there has been some hardware still supporting drivers for that OS it is a surety that going forward now that we...
All UEFI. The integrated graphics on that Skylake CPU and any graphics card from the last five or six years, at least, will all be fully UEFI compatible. The monitors shouldn't make any difference anyhow, as those are external to the direct connections to the motherboard and are irrelevant as far as legacy hardware considerations are concerned.

I would highly recommend however, since you are in the process of doing a clean install anyhow, that you consider now being a good time to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Pretty much any new hardware released in the last two years lacks Windows 7 drivers and although there has been some hardware still supporting drivers for that OS it is a surety that going forward now that we are already nearly a year past Windows 7 being end of life, nobody is continuing to provide support for it in the future. Now is the time to move to the newer OS, which has far better, well, just about everything including driver support and security features, which you can still do for free. It would be a good idea and if your main dislike for Windows 10 is the way it does things, you can easily change the task bar, start menu, system shell behavior and many other settings to look and behave exactly like Windows 7 or 8, or even XP for that matter, using shell modifications like Classic shell. You're going to be forced onto Windows 10 eventually, as sooner or later you're going to encounter some piece of hardware, like a graphics card or other component, that isn't going to have any possible way to be used with anything older than Windows 10, much like current generation motherboards, chipsets and CPUs lack support for Windows 7.

If you buy a current gen motherboard and CPU, you have no choice at all but to use it. Everybody is going to have to either move to it or move away from Windows altogether, sooner, rather than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkear21
Solution