Question Ugh, PC is freezing

Jan 10, 2021
Hey Tom's, long-time lurker, first-time poster. As the title says, I have been having computer freezing problems. The problem usually occurs booting up Steam, but it has also occurred booting up Discord, Origin, Epic, and GOG Galaxy. The freezing seems to only happen during the boot-up phase. I have never had it occur during playing a game, browsing the internet, watching movies, or really anything else. Just the boot phase of the previously mentioned programs. I have also experienced some crashing in games that I have a feeling may be a related issue, but I don't know for sure.

Initially, I assumed it might be my ageing SSD where Windows was installed; I bought it back in early 2013. I had also thought it could be the RAM. I ran Memtest86, and there were no errors. I replaced the ageing Crucial SSD with a new, MX500 Crucial SSD. Of course, I had to do a fresh install of Windows 10.

Things seemed to be running more smoothly, but then I started getting random freezes again. The freezes aren't terribly frequent, but they are regular enough to get me to search for a solution.

I went ahead and updated my BIOS to the latest version. I don't believe this has solved the problem. I have a couple side HDDs I use that are a bit older, but other than that, all other parts were bought Spring of 2018 and aren't even 3 years old yet. After my fresh install of Windows, I believe I have updated all drivers. I'm uncertain what could really be the issue at this point. I appreciate any help. Specs are as follows:

MOBO: Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS ver. 15a
CPU: Intel i5 8400 2.7 Ghz (system auto OCs to 3.7Ghz)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666 MHz DDR4 DRAM (2x8GB)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX1080 Mini 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM 650x
SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB (New)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS