UGH! So many missing things!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If this new forum is replacing the old one (and I detest this new one by the way) the LEAST that it could have is backward compatability.

So far I've noticed that the color tags are missing and the pre tag is missing. That's a major bug IMHO because all of the prior posts that use them look downright awful now.

Another bug (old feature that was removed) is that the ability to not accept PMs no longer exists. Put it back, please!

God I miss the old forum already.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And while we're at it, can't this bloody thing auto-return to post when you submit like the old one did? It's stupid to have to click that when it should automatically know better.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
And while we're at it, can't this bloody thing auto-return to post when you submit like the old one did? It's stupid to have to click that when it should automatically know better.

The notification page is supposed to auto-return to your message, after a short pause (unless you click the other option to go to the forum instead of to the message). Why would you want it to always go back to your own message?

In any case, the auto-return is not operational. I will be fixing that, but after some other things (like new post buttons next to subforums :wink: ).

Appreciate your comments.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why would you want it to always go back to your own message?
I'm not sure if I'm missing some trick question here ... my answer being, to see that I haven't screwed up something badly in my post. (Too lazy to always preview, would rather blindly reply and fix if necessary.) Plus in a hot topic, some posts come in while I'm writing my reply, so I'd like to see them too before I leave the thread.

^ I agree.

And regarding checking for errors, can we have a 10 minute window (this was requested in a Video Card forum thread) where any edits for grammer etc don't come up on the forum saying we have editted the post.

I know most posts I need to go back and edit :oops: , but I don't want it to look like I have changed the content.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Fair enuf. But note that notification screen is standard, i.e. for new posts, for edits, for deletes, for pm's. There is a level of predictability to that. Are we saying we want to change this around, so only put notification up, e.g. for delete, and not for new post/edit?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Fair enuf. But note that notification screen is standard, i.e. for new posts, for edits, for deletes, for pm's. There is a level of predictability to that. Are we saying we want to change this around, so only put notification up, e.g. for delete, and not for new post/edit?
Umm ... not sure I'm following at the moment. But the old forum had a special marker put on posts if you edited them. I think all that's being requested is that the new forum not put that market on posts if they were edited within 10 mins of posting.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
oh, I was not talking about that. I am talking about the request not to show a notification screen 'your message posted...' when a message is posted, and go immediately to the message (like the old way). I am saying that posting, editing, deleting all go to a 'standard' notification screen.. are you saying we should make an exception for new posts, and not show any notification screen.

The other option is to show the screen, and it auto-routes itself to your post after 3 seconds, as it is supposed to do. :wink:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, back to the pre and color tags. Steve, I'd have responded to your PM, but I get the message "Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages." when I try. So I'll discuss it here.

Obviously, yeah, going back and fixing all of the old posts would take a heck of a lot of time and processing power and would probably bring the forum offline for goodness knows how long. That's why it'd be better to program in the missing tags than to recrunch the old data.

There were only a handful of color tags, from memory black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and I think brown. Programatically, these are just shortcuts for the 'new' color= tag.

And in the same way, the pre tag could more or less be handled the same way, but as a size= tag. (With a small size, probably around 6 or 7 pt.) Though ideally the pre tag would also ensure that there is a newline before the open tag and after the close tag. And it would also always ensure the use of a fixed-pitch font. So a crappy pre tag could be programmed in quickly. A proper pre tag would take a little more work. But either is better than no pre tag at all.

Now, as for why support for these tags is so important, look at posts such as number 327 in this thread. Compare the weird giant triple-spaced Cedrik to the one in my avatar. (Which is how he's supposed to look.) This is just one example of how posts that had the pre tag in them have become ... monsters. They're barely readable. I'm not sure why they're being triple-spaced, but it's nasty.

Granted, the pre tag is of a lot higher importance here than the old color tags. Missing color info isn't even remotely a show stopper. But anyone reading old posts is going to have a heck of a time dealing with the old pre tags, so I'd rate that one up higher in priority.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
slvr,

I fixed your pm. 'Allow pm' was off. Give it a spin, by sending yourself (or me) something.

Colors: why do we need special colors. People can use color bbcode.

pre: that totally slipped past me in development. So you are saying a pre tag would set fixed pitch font at 6-7 point size, and put lines around the whole thing? ...ok that could probably be done,

...but more important:
Why do we need pre tag (moving forward but not backward). Note that we have code tag which puts in fixed pitch font already.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Colors: why do we need special colors. People can use color bbcode.
Only needed for the tons of old posts that use these tags. You wouldn't even need to make anyone aware that the tags exist.

pre: that totally slipped past me in development. So you are saying a pre tag would set fixed pitch font at 6-7 point size, and put lines around the whole thing? ...ok that could probably be done,

...but more important:
Why do we need pre tag (moving forward but not backward). Note that we have code tag which puts in fixed pitch font already.
Yep. That's the good ol' pre tag.

The biggest benefit of the pre tag is because the code tag disables all tags inside of the code tag. No bold, italic, color, size, etc. :cry:

Where as the pre tag would still allow tags to to be used inside of it. :)

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
I actually have 25 hours in my days, so that is ok :lol: :lol:

But seriously guys, I am working on some more important stuff right now, which is to bring red/orange status to subforums. It is taken more time that I expect, maybe because I keep monitoring these forumz for new posts (ok stop that, stevie, stop that) :roll:

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
hah your doing a great job, excellent customer service... that is the #1 reason so many of us have been with this forum for over 4yrs.... This is the reason i know i am here everyday and constantly coming back.

HardOCP is ok, but it just doesnt compare... see the other forums don't call it a Community.. this website gives you the feeling of a Family, thats why so many people enjoy our stay here alot more.

We deff acknowledge your support and great customer service! im sure im not the only one in here that feels the same way.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005

Auto-return now working. There is a 3 sec. pause for user to choose among two options, after which it goes back to the message.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Testing size HUGE

TINY

SMALL

LARGE

BLUE

EDEN'S VIOLET

DARK RED

RED

ORANGE

Sweet, I can get these tags to work now. I just wish there was a way to be able to select text and then select a color or size (or any tag for that matter) and have that text surrounded by tags rather than the tags go to the end of the post.

Tiny isn't very legible on my end by the way. Neither is SIZE 8 It looks terrible.

I wasn't able to get color to work in my sig but will try again now.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Auto-return now working. There is a 3 sec. pause for user to choose among two options, after which it goes back to the message.
Coolness. You da man. :D

Now you just need to add the same feature to the profile update and the PM send. (Maybe other places too...)

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Tiny isn't very legible on my end by the way. Neither is SIZE 8 It looks terrible.
Yeah, not sure what font is involved, but this font doesn't seem to shrink well. :|

Yet another reason why an actual font tag would be nice. :) (No hurry mind you, just something nice to have one day.)