[SOLVED] Ugrade graphics card on Asus TP55L ?

May 21, 2021
Hi there, I had a decent mac for vidoe editing which was stolen,I did not have the bucks to buy a decent replacement and think I nought a bit of a dud when it comes to editing! I ugraded RAM to maximim allowed (12G)use Premiere Pro, and with the i7-4510u Processor, dual-core but soldered so I have learnt. My edits lag,even with 1080p footage, and 4K out of the question except when editing in proxy mode or 1/4 resolution. Is there any way of ugrading the card, even externally, or does that affect BIOS too etc? Best,Dennis

sadly, that system probably has no actual GPU, just the iGPU in the CPU, which is a) 7 sears old and b) only dual core and c) very low wattage. As a laptop, there is no real way to update the GPU. Given its age, an external GPU would be going through a USB 2.0 port, which would work for say, watching YouTube videos or web browsing, but not editing or gaming. You would want at least a USB 3.1 to run a video card over USB

you might want to look into a system with a Ryzen 4500U/5500U, which would triple the number of cores (6 cores/12 threads) and have a much better iGPU, and can be found in new and refurb models for $500-600. stepping up to the 4700U/5700U would be 8 cores.16 threads, but run in the 650-800 range. the -H models (4600H 5600H, 4800H, 5800H) are usually tied to dedicated graphics and would be even better (being 45W instead of 35W parts), but run at higher prices ($850-up, usually over $1000)

Last edited:
May 21, 2021
Hi there, thanks for articulating what I suspected so well, albeit not good news for me. Out of interest, would changing the graphics card not be an option, or would the cost of that equal the cost of the laptop? Best Dennis

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi there, thanks for articulating what I suspected so well, albeit not good news for me. Out of interest, would changing the graphics card not be an option, or would the cost of that equal the cost of the laptop? Best Dennis

Not an option. It's hard to say without knowing what your laptop actually is, but the vast majority of laptops don't have an internal upgrade as an option. The ones that do have that as an option tend to be very expensive niche laptops that are basically slightly more portable desktops rather than really meant for good portability.

As others have said. its not possible to upgrade your graphics card in a laptop. Even on ones with a dedicated card can't be upgraded because they are soldered into the motherboard.

Your existing laptop has latest a long time, so its time to put it out to pasture

TRENDING THREADS