Ugraded to 10,now to clean install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I've already upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10,just to give it a trial run,so far everything looks good,but I really want to do a clean install ,I'm Running windows on an 120 SSD,plus all my applications,like (Avast,ccleaner,firefox,VLC,malwarebytes,etc.....NO GAMES). but I have a second 1TB Hard Drive, where ALL my games battlenet diablo3,Origin/Dragonage Inquisition,Steam,also photoshop and adobe illustrator, So my question is if I wipe out the SSD with windows 10 and do clean install ,will all my games ,steam,photoshop etc run fine after clean install,and I have backed up all my important files from the ssd to the 1tb hd, also can I delete the old windows backup image file from my first win 8.1 install located on 2nd hd? sorry I tried to keep it short.

Solution
but you will more than likely have to reinstall a lot of the games and all of the programs on the HD to get their registry settings and user files re-created for Windows.

the upgrade is the only way to keep these settings intact. you can backup your User folders, ProgramData folder, and some other files elsewhere and add them back after the new Windows is installed to help with the transition but there's no guarantee this will work for all of your games, etc.

are you having an issue after the upgrade from 8 to 10 that you want to solve by doing a clean install? if you're not having any issues and are happy with 10 just run Disk Cleaner and through it's advanced options delete all the old restore states and the old Windows...

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
but you will more than likely have to reinstall a lot of the games and all of the programs on the HD to get their registry settings and user files re-created for Windows.

the upgrade is the only way to keep these settings intact. you can backup your User folders, ProgramData folder, and some other files elsewhere and add them back after the new Windows is installed to help with the transition but there's no guarantee this will work for all of your games, etc.

are you having an issue after the upgrade from 8 to 10 that you want to solve by doing a clean install? if you're not having any issues and are happy with 10 just run Disk Cleaner and through it's advanced options delete all the old restore states and the old Windows installation. should clear up a bit of room on the SSD.

Solution

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
GObonzo,Thanks - Yeah actually I'm satisfied with the upgrade, Win 10 is running smooth no problems so far, plus I still have 46.2 GB of free space on my SSD, I guess why fix if it ain't broke,right? I'll wait and do a clean install later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS