Question UHD TV - Can't set 4k @ 60hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pulguiator

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hey

So, I've got this Samsung 6 series UHD TV (model: ue40ku6100/ue40ku6170, not sure which).
On my desktop I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3gB.

I have 2 monitors and the TV connected, one of them is connect through DVI, the other through a VGA to HDMI converter and the TV through an HDMI cable (which I believe to be able to sustain 60hz; it says High speed HDMI with ethernet on it). Everything is working fine, but when I try to setup my TV to run at 4k @ 60hz (usually 4k @ 30hz), the TV loses signal. If I go 1080p @ 60hz, there's no issue.

I tried different ports on the TV and the graphics card, but to no avail. I got an HDMI to DP converter since I read somewhere online that it could help, due to some technical details , which, frankly, I don't recall, but it made no difference. My graphics card should be able to render it, and I read online that UHD TV's usually have 60hz refresh rate , so I'm kind of stuck.

I want my eye candy damn it!
Any ideas?
Thanks

Pulguiator

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
How? I'm pretty sure I trashed everything but the cable itself.

Also, I checked online and yes, HDMI 2.0 does support 4k @ 60hz. I'm pretty sure this cable is at least 2.0, probably not 2.0a/b though.

Last edited:
How? I'm pretty sure I trashed everything but the cable itself.

Also, I checked online and yes, HDMI 2.0 does support 4k @ 60hz. I'm pretty sure this cable is at least 2.0, probably not 2.0a/b though.
The cable you have is exactly what is printed on the jacket, a High Speed HDMI cable. That is the certification level of the cable. There are no further classifications, such as "version numbers", for HDMI cables.

High Speed HDMI cables are tested at 3.4 GHz on each pair of signal lines. HDMI 2.0 signals at 6 GHz on each pair. HDMI Licensing claims that any cable that passes the High Speed certification should still work at the higher HDMI 2.0 speed, but they have not been tested at that speed so there are no guarantees. There have been some instances in which certified High Speed HDMI cables failed to operate at HDMI 2.0 speeds, but these cases are fairly rare unless you have a really long cable (15+ meters). In general, most High Speed HDMI cables work fine for HDMI 2.0.

Check your TV settings; many TVs are limited to 4K 30 Hz RGB or 4K 60 Hz YCbCr 4:2:0 unless you turn on some menu option (I believe it is called "UHD Color" on Samsung TVs, but could be called something else) which allows 4K 60 Hz RGB mode to be set.

Pulguiator

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
The HDMI cable is a High Speed one. UHD Color was already active.
I'm gonna search around the TV settings a bit more. Just noticed though, that the HDMI port I'm using (TV) says STB\DVI. I don't know what this means, I've tried another port but no signal found. Maybe this TV has that port specifically towards computer connection and might be "limited" since it's the cheaper model, but it doesn't say so online.

Also, I've been tweaking with the Nvidia Control Panel and found a way to change the color mode, but even after testing RGB and YCbCr 4:2:0 settings (it also had 4:4:4, didn't test it), I still couldn't get it to 60hz.

Edit: TV -> https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhd-ku6100/UE40KU6100KXXU/

Last edited:
The HDMI cable is a High Speed one. UHD Color was already active.
I'm gonna search around the TV settings a bit more. Just noticed though, that the HDMI port I'm using (TV) says STB\DVI. I don't know what this means, I've tried another port but no signal found. Maybe this TV has that port specifically towards computer connection and might be "limited" since it's the cheaper model, but it doesn't say so online.

Also, I've been tweaking with the Nvidia Control Panel and found a way to change the color mode, but even after testing RGB and YCbCr 4:2:0 settings (it also had 4:4:4, didn't test it), I still couldn't get it to 60hz.

Edit: TV -> https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhd-ku6100/UE40KU6100KXXU/

The TV should support 4k 60Hz, though note that you need to drop to YCbCr 4:2:0 when using 4k 60Hz HDR due to HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations (note I think Windows does this automatically, but HDR on Windows is still a bit of a mess so you might want to just set 4:2:0 and call it a day).

Aside from that, and as a general rule, when connecting a PC to a TV, make sure to relabel the HDMI input port to "TV" or similar (there's certainly a way to do so); TVs and PCs use different color spaces, and that could very well be where the problem is on your end. In any case, it's just good practice and ensures the TV is using the correct color space.

Aside from that, you have to be using a HDMI 2.0 compliant cable; older cables just can't carry the necessary bandwidth.

boxer15

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
If you ever run into this issue where your monitor (or tv in my case) wont go to 60hz 4k (stuck at 29/30hz) go to the display settings, advanced display settings, display adapter properties for display, monitor, properties, driver, delete generic driver that windows installed, then apply, go back to monitor, and select 60hz, and if that doesnt work (didnt work for me the first time) go to your amd/nvidia software and create a custom resolution for 4k at 60hz after deleting the generic driver (wouldn’t let me until it was deleted, kept saying my display didn’t support the resolution). Then back to monitor and select 60hz.

Literally could not find this anywhere on the internet, took me a full day to figure out it was windows fault for me not being able to select my full 60hz at 4k, only found out it was due to windows because I’m hackintoshed and my OS X build runs fine at 60hz.

Using hisense 65r6e1 as a monitor, a braided 4K uhd hdmi (works on my generic hdmi cable as well, so everyone suggesting cables every time someone has a problem should reconsider the cable being the only problem) and an active display adapter to hdmi from my r9 fury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS