UI Expert Says Windows 9 Will Be Windows 8 Done Right

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like I said, Microsoft built a Prius when 95% of their user base wanted a Truck. But is no one asking the question "Why Microsoft got it so wrong"? I mean Nielsen wasn't the first person to do this usability study with "real humans" - Microsoft have their own team of UI professionals that do very much the same as Nielsen, so how and why did Microsoft end up with such a poor UI in Windows 8? Did Ballmer even try Windows 8 before it was released? Did he test internal builds along the way? Come on Tom's, start asking the hard questions and stop nibbling at the edges of an obvious problem at Microsoft. Grow some Journalistic integrity just this once and stop pandering to you revenue sources.

emtau

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Win8 is like Vista but way worst. XP users skip Vista and go straight to Win7....Now Windows 7 users will certainly skip Win8 and go straight to Windows 9 when it comes out.

So in my opinion Windows 7 was an improvement of Vista. As Windows 9 will be an improvement of Win8. So I think Windows 8 is just there for you to observe and comment so that when Windows 9 is out it will be a correction of Windows 8.

So you can stay with Windows 7 and wait for Windows 9, or Install Windows 8 and do some observations, leave comments so that Windows 9 can come out the way we want it.

d delexandruz

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Windows 8 is faster than windows 7 when it comes to installing it and file transfers. I don't have a problem with the metro, the tiles are huge, labeled, and easy on the eyes no squinting needed but applications that often used are placed on the taskbar. 8 has better defrag and hard disk scan no need to reboot. explorer has ribbons, easy to hide or unhide files and folders with a single click. shutdown was hard to find should had been placed on taskbar or charm bar not under settings.
You can install for free classical shell which has 95/xp/7 menu's to choose from. My main gripe with windows 8 pro system builder 64 bit is the price for a single license.
If microsoft released windows 8 looking like windows 7 but with the performance gains I doubt ppl would had bought it.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

People didn't and aren't buying it and Microsoft is remaining as silent as possible about Win 8 sales.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Windows 8 was intented to be a failure. It was probably used as the political tool/excuse by top exec to force a change in the company. Microsoft has gotten too big and too bureaucratic.
Too bad, us (consumer), cannot do anything about it. All we can do is watch, hope, and pray.

Well it is more than obvious the person that wrote that article has never installed used or even seen Windows 8 running ever. None of his facts are even close to correct or true in the least.

Then only thing Microsoft did wrong was put the Start Button back in Windows 8.1 it needs to be removed other than that it is great. Next time he should try Windows 8 before he writes a article about it.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I'm a bit confused by the "1 window" allegations... if I plug two monitors into my PC on Windows 8, do I not get the same dual-screen operation I did out of Win 7?

Is this guy only talking about the Metro/Live-Tile interface and apps when he talks about multi-monitor support?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Essentially, yes. If you are on the desktop, you can still use multiple monitors like you have been. But if you go to the Metro/Start screen it only shows on one screen. It defaults to your primary display, but in a windows session you can open it on whichever screen you like by opening from the bottom left (where the start button was/will be). Alternately, if you open an app on one screen during a session, the metro screen and all other apps will open on that screen.

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft should just go back to the Windows 7 environment for PCs that users love. Forget about the tiles for PC. Maybe tablet and phones it maybe appropriate.

Leamon

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I've been testing the Windows 8.1 Preview, and although the full screen apps are a bit annoying, you're not forced to use them. It can be run almost identically to Windows 7 now, but with nice improvements. Here's one of my favorites: you can configure it so that when you click the start button, it takes you not to the metro interface, but to the apps view. That's a lot better than Windows 7 when you had to hold the mouse over "all programs" and scroll down the list. I definitely will be switching to 8.1 when it is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.