Question UK- Cheapest router for creating subnet for works device at home ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Looking to get a cheap router that I can use to seperate my home devices from the works device, with a different subnet.

This router will only be used for the works device and will be ethernet connected, so no need to worry about Wi-Fi capabilities, preferably something where I won't see a massive drop in speed when using compared to being plugged directly into my ISP hub.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

You could look at a router with third party firmware but many will reduce the top speed because they don't have support for the hardware nat acceleration. I think the merlin firmware that runs on many asus router supports multiple neworks and merlin uses the asus hardware nat driver.

A kinda dirty method would allow the work devices access the home network but your home devices could not initiate connections with the work network.

All you do is run all your home network on the main router. Then place a second router running in router mode behind the main router and plug all your work devices into it. You need a different subnet on the lan and the wan/main router network. Your second router think the main lan is internet. Because of the NAT in the second router no machine in your house can open a session with the work machines...without port forwarding. This is the same reason someone on the internet can not access your machine.

Not sure if this meets your needs. The work machines could intentionally access the main lan machines by using their ip addresses.