UK Demands Google to Change Privacy Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Why are they bothering? All this Data Protection Act while the major western governments tap into fibre optic networks and retain copies of peoples digital lives. There is no Privacy so why bother forcing it on Corporates?

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I find it more than ironic that other nations are more concerned about privacy than the U.S. government seems to be.

Read the fine print for Google+. Did you know Google clams ownership of every word you use on that "service"? Facebook is bad enough.

halcyon

Splendid
If you live in the U.S. you don‘t really have any privacy from the government and Googles and this is not new. There seems to be a lot of folks that are either acting or are indeed shocked by this. As long as I have reasonable privacy from the common Joe I can live with it I suppose.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm all for consolidating all those documents into one just to make it easier to have all the info in one place. But all the legal jargon makes many of these documents useless to the common man. These policies use to be written in plain english that even a 4 year old could understand, now you have to have a lawyer just to even understand what their lawyer said. These end up being TLDR documents! So I agree with the UK and other European contries on making Google make the document "more informative for individual service users".

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Well...that's the point. Either put so much junk in writing that the reader loses focus and says "Wait, what were all those important parts from awhile ago?" or put so much in so people won't actually dare read it at all.

It's just funny that the UK of all countries is concerned about privacy. What with all the cameras, trucks that scan your home to see if you are watching TV without paying a tax, metal detectors in the streets, &c. They see 1984 as a guide book and lead the western world in squelching privacy.

The NSA can only look with envy at what the UK has accomplished in public surveillance. Although Bush and Obama have done their darnedest to help us catch up.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

You've been a bit taken in by the idea rather than the facts. The vans cannot detect TV usage at ALL - they just assume that everyone has a TV when they don't pay a licence. The 'dectetion' is based on EM leakage which basically any device can emit, and furthermore because they don't specifically want to divulge how they purport to detecting it, they can't/won't use it if it goes to court. It used to be possible to detect CRT because you can literally pick the the electron gun 'signal' and view the image remotely - not so with modern TV sets.

I haven't paid a TV license in 20 years - sometimes they send a letter or come and say hello, but I just wish them well and see them on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.