UK Dimension 8200 - RAM upgrade (where from)

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

Hi All,

Dimension 8200, 2.0Ghz, 512Mb RAM. Went to Dell (UK) site to upgrade RAM
and was a bit suprised to be quoted £641.53 to upgrade from 512Mb to 1.5Gb
(this was the only option available).

£641. Wow. Actually for 'a bit surprised' read ****ing hopping mad. I
could get a new system for that!!

Anyway, best price I've been quoted is £155 from orcalogic.co.uk to ugrade
to 1Gb (2*256Mb) and wondered if anyone has any advice regards upgrading
Dimension 8200 RAM in the UK?

Cheers

silver

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2004

Might try eBay or something like that for used modules. PC800-45ns
that came stock in ur 8200 is a little cheaper than the 800-40ns that
is *hot* among Rambus users now, but still very expensive as Chas
already posted.

Very little RAMBUS memory is manufactured any more, so prices have climbed back
up to the stratosphere where they were when the stuff was first manufactured.
Still, you can do much much better than Dell's prices. With the 2GHz CPU, your
system can accept the more common and less expensive PC800 memory. RAMBUS
memory is generic. All the manufacturers (Samsung, NEC, Toshiba, etc.) licensed
the design from the RAMBUS company, and manufacture it to pretty rigid
standards. If you find ECC memory for cheap, fine. But the 8200 runs perfectly
well with non-ECC memory... Ben Myers

"Chas" <chas@nospamhere.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Dimension 8200, 2.0Ghz, 512Mb RAM. Went to Dell (UK) site to upgrade RAM
> and was a bit suprised to be quoted £641.53 to upgrade from 512Mb to 1.5Gb
> (this was the only option available).
>
> £641. Wow. Actually for 'a bit surprised' read ****ing hopping mad. I
> could get a new system for that!!
>
> Anyway, best price I've been quoted is £155 from orcalogic.co.uk to ugrade
> to 1Gb (2*256Mb) and wondered if anyone has any advice regards upgrading
> Dimension 8200 RAM in the UK?
>
> Cheers

http://www.cclonline.com/product-categories.asp?category_id=108

2 x 256mb there will set you back £114.78 + about a fiver for shipping.