Question UK/EU: Please help me choose a second 1440p 27" monitor

dusf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I currently have an Acer Predator G-Sync XB270HU which I use with my GTX 970 - for gaming when I can. Next year after I can save some money, there is hopefully more supply, and the dust settles on price and best bang for buck, I would like to pick up either a RTX 3080 or 6800 XT but this may not be until the summer or even approaching Black Friday 2021. Right now I would like to pick up a second monitor to use for study, watching video tutorials on one while working on the other, and I am also starting to learn about trading so star at stock and cryptocurrency trends on Trading View 5 minute charts on both screens will be something I do a lot - I am not sure how much that should influence refresh rate, panel type, or anything else?

A big question is if I should I buy the cheapest 1440p that I can find now and if I pick up a new monitor later for the new GPU, I can either sell the budget model or set up three screens which many traders use. By waiting on investing in a new monitor in the future I should get more for my money. If I spend less now it should also mean that I would be able to sooner afford the GPU, and whatever else is required like a mobo (current is Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5) or RAM - sooner. Paying for a good G-Sync and FreeSync compatible gaming monitor now is tempting as the distance between their prices and a basic monitor decrease with Black Friday.

If I go the gaming route I was considering a Dell 27 Gaming Monitor: S2721DGFA (currently @ £485/€433/$513) or an ASUS TUF VG27AQ (currently @ £408/€456/$544).

I have found finding a basic monitor much more difficult, perhaps something like a Philips Monitor Gaming 275E1S (currently @ £186/€209/€248). Being in the Republic of Ireland I buy a lot from the UK, most products on Amazon and many other suppliers will deliver here but other do not, and if I can confirm that boxed dimensions of the following are under 72cm x 31cm x 25cm I can use a cheap mail forwarding company for €5 which would not take away from the value: AOC Q2790PQU/BT (currently @ £168/€189/$224).

For reference I have been using: Rtings 27" 1440p less than $500 (ordered by price even when not visible) and PC Part Picker UK 27" 1440p less than £510.

Requirements: Swing, tilt, and height adjust, not curved, vesa mount, minimise any eye strain
Bonus: Option to rotate into portrait

Please help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS