UK High Court Allows Legal Claim to Be Served via Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have 5 facebook account. and I never serious use my real information there. I just think that facebook is just another society network with a bit more function than AIM or YAHOo instant message. why the whole world taking it so seriously like facebook is the future for mankind? it could be replaceable by any society network anytime,

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Assuming the Facebook account is currently used (same as not living at a previous addres), as serving papers to an account that has perhaps not been logged onto for 3months + will not be very useful.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
this is scary. what about fake profiles? what about other social networks? what about facebook control over a legal system? this is extremely scary.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Achoo22[/nom]Quick, start posting fake summons on the sites of all your British friends! YOU GOT SERVED![/citation]
That would be hilarious if it wasn't heading to the USA very soon as well, watch this space

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
So, how does this work if one never uses their Facebook account.. like me? It is my fault if I miss a 'serving' in that case?

I get that it will only be used as a last resort, but seriously, if I really couldn't be contacted by any other means, contact via Facebook would be impossible.

And injunctions served via Twitter?? Who would take that seriously?! An email, sure, makes a little more sense. But Twitter??

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Bad idea as it is way to easy to hack a facebook account.
Scenario... you abandon your account and get served in there. Some hacker while snooping around looks into your account; which now has had 'activity'. That means the summons was 'served' without you ever knowing it did.
And the burden of proof that it was not you who logged into the account will prob. be yours.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]So, how does this work if one never uses their Facebook account.. like me? It is my fault if I miss a 'serving' in that case?I get that it will only be used as a last resort, but seriously, if I really couldn't be contacted by any other means, contact via Facebook would be impossible.And injunctions served via Twitter?? Who would take that seriously?! An email, sure, makes a little more sense. But Twitter??[/citation]
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Bad idea as it is way to easy to hack a facebook account.Scenario... you abandon your account and get served in there. Some hacker while snooping around looks into your account; which now has had 'activity'. That means the summons was 'served' without you ever knowing it did.And the burden of proof that it was not you who logged into the account will prob. be yours.[/citation]
The same could be said for your telephone line or people breaking into your house, all theoretical arguements will have a practical outcome - such as if you take a photo of yourself with your camera phone then post it on Facebook it's pretty hard to argue in court that you didn't do it and you weren't logged in.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
And I wonder why Zuckerberg is cashing out now? /sarcasm

How long will it take people to realize you could be prosecuted for shit that happens on 'facebook', I hope his IPO burns to the ground.

Also i recommend NoScript plugin for firefox - just to give facebook scripts the bird wherever they are.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
this case would have been so awesome to work on... first, did the guy accept a friend request from a constable's office? how exactly did they post the paperwork onto his wall? did the person serving the papers create a fictional account to 'friend' the guy... if so, that violates the facebook tos. how was the user supposed to know that the paperwork was legit? did facebook provide the user with the ip address of the poster? did the isp provide the street address for that ip address? did the poster verify somehow that the profile with the user's name and picture was actually the person who was to be served the papers?

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Soon as it goes to avoid trial you'll need to hire a hacker :).

But seriously, the legal system again shows it's inadequacy in the area of new tech. and not only tech. but practically everything changing and evolving.

G

This is not new in Australia. It sort of makes sense once you get over the initial WTF.
It is a legal way to serve people

Status
Not open for further replies.