UK Olympic Athletes Told Not to Wear Beats Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
You gotta be kidding me. So people can't wear the head phone of their choice while just walking around or warming up. That's complete bullshit. If there is some "official headphone sponsor" then they better make sure every competitor had a brand new set if headphones from their company of STFU.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
For those interested, the consequences of violating Rule 40 include disqualification from the Games.

I always thought the Olympics were to see who are the best athletes in the world, not who is the richest corporation. Why should athletes be disqualified for preferring one brand over another?

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Here's a better question: Why don't the athletes just put a white sticker over the beats logo and call it a day?

isoomega

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Conflict of interest or bribed? That is the question......

Oh! Found twenty bucks under the table :D

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
I don't give a rats ass whose funding them. If you want to put your log on the uniforms while the events are going on then fine, if you want to have your brand on the tv ads thats fine, if you want to have only your brand shown in the photo ops thats fine too. Telling me what I can use/wear on my own time is NOT fine.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Wow I wonder if this was done by MSNBC or if it was the Olympic Committee.

I am not sure whats worse the US "Gold Metal Tax" where they Tax any American who wins gold 236 dollars.

Are this where there Telling participants if you don't support our sponsors goods your DQ.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]I don't give a rats ass whose funding them. If you want to put your log on the uniforms while the events are going on then fine, if you want to have your brand on the tv ads thats fine, if you want to have only your brand shown in the photo ops thats fine too. Telling me what I can use/wear on my own time is NOT fine.[/citation]

Damn, man, are you a competing Olympic athlete? The thing is, during the games, they're representing their team, their country, on or off the court, field, etc. and all eyes are on them, so of course they can't promote competing brands (when you have celebrity status and you wear it, you're technically promoting it). Personally, I don't see the big deal in wearing branded headphones, but these world class athletes have a lot to lose, so I'm guessing none of them will get as upset by it as you seem to be. Relax, dude. You can still wear your own Beats all day if you like.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i like the Olympics then when only amateurs competed and were given a chance to show their potentials and become future top professionals.

G

I wonder if they would disqualify someone like bolt for using beats or would they be to scared of bad pr

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I can see this: "So golden medal goes for .. wait .. he has been spotted yesterday breaking rule 40 .. dissqualified!"

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
In all honesty, when the athletes come to the stadium / etc. they are at their work place, doing their job; promoting stuff. It is reasonable to expect them to promote the one who funds them.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished
Are the medals also sponsored and has embossed imprints:

"GM Presents GOLD MEDAL to ________, Like a Rock!",
"GM Presents SILVER MEDAL to _________, Reality Sucks!",
"GM Presents BRONZE MEDAL to ________, Excellence for Everyone!"

G

in my personal opinion, this olympic games is the most underwhelming and messed up games from the recent years. whoever planned it had all the wrong intentions for an olympic games.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
This is a good thing, BEATS FRIKKEN SUCK!!!!

I tried on the $300+ demos in the store and they are just really really bad. Crap sound and super uncomfortable. The turtle beach $50 gaming headsets were much better in sound, comfort and way cheaper.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Cry me a river. Who do you think is help funding these Olympic programs?Now they won't be quite as cool among the tweeners without their overpriced, overhyped, POS monstrosities called Beats headphones. Beats are like the new Bose. A mediocre product marketed extremely well directly to uneducated consumers and given a premium price tag. E[/citation]

Olympic tickets cost an arm and a leg, they already make a nice amount from news networks broadcasting the event, and they have a lot of sponsors. Funding problems? Charge more for everything.

humphreybot

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]Wow I wonder if this was done by MSNBC or if it was the Olympic Committee.I am not sure whats worse the US "Gold Metal Tax" where they Tax any American who wins gold 236 dollars. Are this where there Telling participants if you don't support our sponsors goods your DQ.[/citation]

the "gold medal tax" is on the 25,000 dollars they receive for winning a gold medal.........it should be 31% btw not some nominal pittance like 236 bucks.........the rich just keep getting richer lol

JBB-SaDo

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2012
[citation][nom]humphreybot[/nom]the "gold medal tax" is on the 25,000 dollars they receive for winning a gold medal.........it should be 31% btw not some nominal pittance like 236 bucks.........the rich just keep getting richer lol[/citation]

The Fair tax would be nice.
What's wrong with the rich getting richer? Who makes jobs? Yeah there are "poor" people who start business(there for creating jobs), but for the most part it is the "rich", that expand their business. Which in turn helps the "poor" people get a job get rich.

I realize this is not a perfect world so my statement above is not going to happen every time. But do you get my point?

Proverbs 12:11 ESV
Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.

G

So... now I see... olympics is not about sports any more... its a business of selling advertisements. Well in this case they should have provide a free pair of headphones to the olympians then..

Status
Not open for further replies.