UK Olympic Athletes Told Not to Wear Beats Headphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
"Several athletes competing for the UK have been spotted wearing the patriotic headphones prior to competing."

So basically, it's more important to wear headphones that showcase your business partner from across the globe than it is to show your country pride.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
[citation][nom]JBB-SaDo[/nom]The Fair tax would be nice.What's wrong with the rich getting richer? Who makes jobs? Yeah there are "poor" people who start business(there for creating jobs), but for the most part it is the "rich", that expand their business. Which in turn helps the "poor" people get a job get rich. I realize this is not a perfect world so my statement above is not going to happen every time. But do you get my point? Proverbs 12:11 ESV Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.[/citation]

Guess you missed the history class about serfdom and the monopoly barons.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Enjoy your "freedom", brits.[/citation]
Wow. Have you not seen people who are sponsored? They get free stuff from their sponsors all the time. It happens to sponsored people on the internet (e.g. big YT'ers for example). This has nothing to do with the country, it's purely a sponsor thing and it's likely that it's in a contract.

[citation][nom]JBB-SaDo[/nom]The Fair tax would be nice.What's wrong with the rich getting richer? Who makes jobs? Yeah there are "poor" people who start business(there for creating jobs), but for the most part it is the "rich", that expand their business. Which in turn helps the "poor" people get a job get rich. I realize this is not a perfect world so my statement above is not going to happen every time. But do you get my point? Proverbs 12:11 ESV Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense.[/citation]

Because history has shown it's proven to work right?

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Wow. Have you not seen people who are sponsored? They get free stuff from their sponsors all the time. It happens to sponsored people on the internet (e.g. big YT'ers for example). This has nothing to do with the country, it's purely a sponsor thing and it's likely that it's in a contract.Because history has shown it's proven to work right?[/citation]
When you look at all the rules and restrictions that the olympics have set, it makes you wonder if this is europe or north korea.

D

Deleted member 270419

I worked at the Games before and the amount of advertising banning is ridiculous. They were even taping over the logo on the towel dispenser. Meanwhile, I haven't seen anything advertised at the Games that makes me want to buy it . . in fact, I see the same commercials so many times, often interrupting a game that I'm sometimes LESS likely to buy it now because I've now associated the brand with the feeling of irritation. Conventional marketing is so backwards.

And can someone explain to me "Olympics Edition" mascara? How does that work?

funguseater

Distinguished
I think some of the problem is that these are NOT the athlete's sponsors, they get nothing from these huge corporations and end up working at Tim Hortons or Home Hardware to support their career. I think they deserve a little dignity they are supposed to be the elite.

Let them Earn

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The "Fair" tax is anything but fair. The rich don't make jobs. Having a large percentage of the population able to buy goods (eg a well paid middle class) creates jobs through demand.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]When you look at all the rules and restrictions that the olympics have set, it makes you wonder if this is europe or north korea.[/citation]
The Olympics is a global event. The sponsors are global.

OH MY GOD I CAN'T WEAR THESE HEADPHONES WHAT IS THIS NORTH KOREA!?

Yes this is a douche move but a statement like that is moronic.

G

They are doing athletes a favor,so they don't get accustomed to mediocrity(those monster overpriced stuff).
anyway for the same price(a lil cheaper)are the much better quality Klipsh headphones.

G

According to the Olympic committee, the reason of DQ for the badminton team is because Olympic is all about competing for the best. How does a headphone related to competing for the best???

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
What headphone sponsor do they compete with?
Nobody looks to the Olympics for headphone advice. The IOC probably just wants to be sure they get paid for anything appearing on a broadcast.

After NBC, they may be better competitions without bothering with cameras. Let the old farts leeching off the game revenues go find other jobs instead of seeking more monetization.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
a fact that many posters \are missing , THIS IS NOT personal endorsments.This is in regards to corporations funding the olympics. the individual atheletes see no money from ANY of these sponsers. yet they are being forced to pander thier goods . I could see it if the rule only applies to while they are playing , but if they are enforcing this rule on them in their free time as well then that is bullsh-t. Me personally id' never be a corporate whore.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
If they want the athletes to cooperate with particular brands then corporations should pay extra for athletes participation !

G

cheesemon 08/04/2012 7:36 PM: can someone explain to me "Olympics Edition" mascara? How does that work?

Maybe it's sweat-resistant? :p

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]HotRoderx[/nom]...the US "Gold Metal Tax" where they Tax any American...[/citation]
There's no tax associated with medals, but there is tax associated with bonuses that come from wining them, it's income and thus taxable. And they receive bonuses in excess of $25K, $15K and $10K for gold, silver and bronze respectively for individuals, and $100K to $250K (as much I know or can find on the web) for sports organisations, from the US Olympic Committee. For example Michael Phelps who won four gold and two silver medals ($130K in bonuses) will pay almost $9000 in tax, which is 6.9% tax rate. If you presume that those $130K are his whole income in 2012, those 6.9% are much lower than 15.7% effective tax rate you would pay if you earned the same amount.

davo77

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
hasten :

Cry me a river. Who do you think is help funding these Olympic programs?Now they won't be quite as cool among the tweeners without their overpriced, overhyped, POS monstrosities called Beats headphones. Beats are like the new Bose. A mediocre product marketed extremely well directly to uneducated consumers and given a premium price tag. E

Total cost = Approx. £13 billion
Money raised from sponsors = £2 billion
Money raised from British taxpayer = £11 billion

I wouldn't overestimate the "help" of the sponsors.

davo77

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Wow who'd a thunk I'd be 20 voted down for siding with "big evil business".Unfortunately all of you are thinking about Olympic presentation, while I'm talking about the Olympic programs. These athletes need funding to continue training, who do you think provides this funding? If I showed up to work wearing a competitors polo I'd be told to remove it as well. Unfortunately, to the chagrin of most of you, these athletes need funding and it comes from "big evil business". The internet is obviously the wrong place to be reasonable about reality though! Occupy on!![/citation]

I think you'll find that most of the funding for athletes comes from government, especially before they are famous.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Beats really made popular the trend of having in store demo headphones, and got popular because they were simply louder than everything else in the store. Since then, stores have put headphone booster amps in the demo section, to level the playing field. Everything else sounds better, but Beats are now sounding excessively loud and distorted in the store.

This is fine because the majority of people that buy Beats don't care what they sound like and buy them anyway. When they get home, people find a vastly better sounding headphone than the one they tested in the store, and many people swear by them.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
"brand promotion in the Olympics"

It is great pleasure to watch Olympics, especially when you are Greek. But when you see all this commercialization it makes you wander if "Olympics" is the correct name for these games.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I've heard that Beats headphones suck, but I hope ALL British (and many other) Olympic competitors wear Beats headphones. I really hope they do.

What are they gonna do? Disqualify everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.