UK Owned and hosted web mail services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
I'm looking for any recommendations for a good UK based web mail service. At the moment I make use of a couple of Yahoo and Google web mail accounts. What I want is something with a similar interface but which is owned, registered and operated by a UK registered company and with which I can be sure my personal information would fall under the jurisdiction of UK law only. Let me be clear on this, I do nothing illegal via e-mail but I have a strong political ideals and beliefs. This is more of an idealistic move and my own small way of telling corporations that I'm not their bitch.

Failing this I'd be interested in registering my own domain and having some form of hosting that provides me with a web mail service. I've really not got much money so any such solution would have to be low cost. I don't need huge volumes of storage, half a gig or so would be ample for what I need. I don't need a personal web site or anything else, just a simple web service that somebody manages for me so I could have audiovoodoo@<my-domain>.<whatever> and maybe a couple of aliases for other business use. If it could support PGP encryption even better.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

The ISP I use is paid for by my landlord so I don't use it other than as a dumb pipe. One of the big problems with ISP's in the UK for mail is that they tend to only let you use outgoing services when connected to their line. I'm most likely going to be moving house this year (sharing for the last 4 years so time for my own place!) and I'd not be able to take this with me.

I'm now looking at registering my own domain and setting up a web mail service on that. The domain reg runs about £3 a year and the mail service (10 mailboxes with unlimited aliases and a couple of gigs of storage) about another £20 a year. I'm just doing some research on 100% UK based registration and hosting, strangely it's proving hard to find which ones are UK and which ones are just a UK front to international companies. Not sure if it's worth me stumping up a bit more money for a VPS or bundle package with web hosting too, I'll have to look at the costs as every penny counts at the min.

It might seem a bit extreme to some, but there comes a point where I feel I have no option if I'm going to hold true to some heartfelt beliefs.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
On a side note you could probably use all of your free time to make our own web mail server.

Be great on your resume...

"Look at me I'm so overqualified I made my own mail server from scratch!"

At least you will be managing your own data, I guess.

Alas, my development skills died back in the 90's. I never really got into it. I think a combination of acute depression and trying to link the entire Bootle http libraries when I was supposedly writing a web indexing robot for my dissertation caused my head to explode. I've never really gone back to it.

I only got through on the back of focusing on the HCI element of the project and including some wonderful quotes from Timothy Leary. Few people seem to realise just how much he wrote on the field of HCI and all the work he did with Apple back in the day.

Wish I could find the quote on-line, I might have to raid my old notes and see if I can find the fabled 300 page item of mediocrity I submitted back then.

bubbly

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Dear friend!

Considering all your requirements and preferences, I suggest http://www.9cubehosting.com/ for you. It is UK based web hosting company and have their data center so that the information about you would be in UK limit.
The very reason I suggest it for you is that if you register domains along with hosting, it would save you a lot i.e., you only pay $6.00/year. Also, you would get free Whois ID protection along with several add on packages which saves you again much and your privacy or personal details would not be revealed to public. Best of all, you get unlimited storage and bandwidth that really makes more value for your money.
Also, it is capable of support all the latest PHP(4,5 &6), PGP and MySQL script, so that it can fulfill all you want I hope.
Thanks!

Have a look at Heart Internet. A .co.uk domain name will cost you £2.99 per year and comes with web email. I think it's only one address (i use them for web hosting and get 100 mailboxes - costs me about £30 per year).

A fully UK based web provider that quotes prices in dollars? Excuse me if I sound suspicious, but....

Further research reveals that you are US based company. So as well as spamming forums you tell deliberate mistruths to a potential customer, who made a very specific request for a UK company with no foreign links. People like you give the industry a bad name.

In fairness the company is UK hosted and registered:

9CUBEHOSTING.COM SITE INFORMATION
IP: 216.65.1.131
IP Location: London, United Kingdom
Website Status: active
Server Type: Apache

However they are just another reseller for Liquid Net Limited which does appear to be UK based but also has a US office. If you have a look at his DNS records for 9Cube you get:

mx.9cubehosting.com A 1 hour 66.40.34.23 (Atlanta, GA, US)

So bubbly is trying to sell me something where he clearly doesn't understand the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS